Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Visitor Center in Chama yard?

July 19, 2007 05:42PM avatar
Perhaps this and all other matters concerning the C&TS railroad should be decided by a referendum vote available to all of the registered voters of the states of New Mexico and Colorado. If the commission, appointed by the the two state's governors, cannot make these decisions then what is the point of their existance?

Seriously, and this is not addressed personally to BO but everyone here who cares to cure their insomnia with another one of my diatribes.

Here is another example of two distinct dysfunctions in all of this business about the C&TS:

First, and several posters here have mentioned this issue already, the Friends and the railroad commission do not have a well organized method or venue with which to keep the membership and the general public (railfans, et al) apprised of current and future projects that are in the planning stages. Some of this may be due in part to what happens on these boards when something "leaks out" and rectal reconstruction begins almost immediately. The passion to "save indescrimantely" all things C&TS/D&RGW ng more often than not clashes big time with the passion to adequately develop and present that which we have already saved and are actively working to save. More new rectal openings have been created here than at my proctologists office.

Have I got the answer to how communications can be improved? Not a chance, but I have had discussions with Tim T, a number of the directors and several of the commisioners and we all share the same feeling. Communications need to be improved but no one is sure how to do it to best serve all audiances. I can say that if I am really concerned about something I can call one of the directors and get some answers. That being said, a few things are kept in confidence or closely held, especially when acquiring parts or cars because the reality is there are other customers out there looking for this stuff. Get my drift?

Secondly, posters and lurkers on the two boards (NGDF and the NGDGS) that seem to have the most traffic concerning the C&TS and all things connected to it, tend to act as though these venues are some sort of quasi-official bulletin board of the many things that the railroad and the Friends are involved in. A few posters weigh in occasionally with something close to "official" announcements or comments (Dick Cowles), but for the most part, a question is raised or a comment is made and one of us "grunts" as John C calls himself (me too), tries to pass on whatever we might know for sure (which usually isn't much or is out of date) so's you all aren't completely in the dark. Sometimes it results in hoorays, but more often then not it just sets somebody else off a howlin' about this or that. In reality, these boards are noting more than discussion rooms.

The bottom line is, if you really want to know what's going on, these boards (at least not as of yet) aren't the place to get the "real facts". The folks who are involved with such things as trading cars to the Jicarilla Apache's or where the new visitor center location might be located just don't spend time here other than to occasionally read the posts. Many of them read these boards but few of them have the time to post. AND since they are working on projects that are still in the planning stages, they maybe are well advised to stay quiet until things are closer to fruition.

One other point. Most of these things going on are done so with ad hoc (and some official) "committees" to make sure that no one person is "railroading" something foolish through. With the new commission and new directors, there is much better cooperation and communication between the new commission members and the Friends. There are also distinct lines drawn that both sides know and respect. I have seen it first hand. The long term survival of the C&TS is what is on everyone's mind that I have come in contact with in the last month or so. I have had personal face to face conversations with many of these folks in May and June. There is a unstoppable spirit of CAN DO with these folks. They are putting their hearts, souls and pocket books into this thing. The time for paranoia just may be long past, and time to truly move forward with securing this thing for another 100 years. Should we forget about the sins of the past, well hell no, be watchful but lets not kill the patient with over protection.

Well, I suppose this will set off another flame war, but then, as Crayuft said, I had good teacher. smiling smiley

IMG_2671cmprsd.JPG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2007 05:45PM by Mark Valerius.
Subject Author Posted

Visitor Center in Chama yard?

Richard Boulware July 19, 2007 02:52PM

Prowordsmith July 19, 2007 03:06PM

Re: MTA Charlie

Randall Hess July 19, 2007 03:44PM

John Cole July 19, 2007 04:07PM

Skip July 20, 2007 05:21PM

Chile John July 20, 2007 07:22PM

Re: Visitor Center in Chama yard? Attachments

Mark Valerius July 19, 2007 05:42PM

rod July 19, 2007 11:50PM

Mark Valerius July 20, 2007 02:28PM

John Cole July 20, 2007 03:13PM

michael July 20, 2007 04:22PM

Chile John July 20, 2007 07:36PM

rick_b July 20, 2007 06:17PM

Re: Visitor Center in Chama yard? Attachments

Mike B July 20, 2007 09:21PM

Re: Visitor Center in Chama yard, YES!

rod July 21, 2007 12:10AM

Mike B July 21, 2007 06:00AM

John Cole July 21, 2007 08:41AM

With appreciation - Visitors Cntr.

Richard Boulware July 21, 2007 09:06AM

Re: With appreciation - Visitors Cntr.

mesaman3000 July 21, 2007 09:44AM

John Cole July 21, 2007 10:08AM

Richard Boulware July 21, 2007 10:42AM

John Cole July 21, 2007 11:16AM

Dave Boyer July 21, 2007 12:51PM

Rick Renz July 23, 2007 07:39AM

Re: Visitor Center in Chama yard, MEBBE !!!

Chile John July 21, 2007 10:27AM

Re: Visitor Center in Chama yard, MEBBE !!!

rick_b July 21, 2007 11:10AM

Fred T July 21, 2007 10:49AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login