Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Profit from the helper engine

September 12, 2000 03:40PM
Okay I'll take a stab at it:
You said...A couple of things to solve:
1- How to convince the Commission that this doesn't violate the sacred "equal service from each terminus" policy.
Answer---The engine originated on the passenger train in Chama. Maybe they can get away with that one. Or, maybe they can call it a work extra.
Answer 2----If the idea pans out maybe offer some similar trips from Antonito to Osier and Back, solving that problem, but creating another one---deadheading an engine and train to and from Antonito(Helper not needed there of course)
Answer 3---Do away with this stupid law if you want to make a few extra needed dollars to help keep this fragile piece of Railroad in existance.
2- How to turn an engine around, as the loop at Osier is not usable.
Answer---You got me here Jay. I was counting on it being open.
Answer 2---In light of this I would turn the engine at Cumbres like normal. Pull the train tender-first to Osier,run around the train, and do all the photos going west in the afternoon after the Pass. Trains are clear. Then at Cumbres the engine stores the cars and heads home. In this scenario the caboose never needs to be switched, unless you want to take it to haul rides up and down the hill each time.
3- The minimum passengers needed. Deciding at a late date that are too few passengers will just create a PR disaster. You have to either run the train whatever, or not run it at all.
Answer---You have a valid concern here. I never said I had all the answers. However, most of the types that would do this might be more of the railfan types or quasi-railfans so they would be more forgiving(maybe!!!!).
Answer 2---When we ran charters we always stated a date that the trip would run or not run if a certain number of tickets were not sold. In this case, I think riders would have to be given a 5 day cut-off or something like that. If not enough reservations were received by Previous Monday, then scrap it. The folks will have to settle for the regular train options. At least they would get some notice. Also if you set the break-even number low enough, you might pick-up last minute folks just by allowing the train to run on marginal sales. Especially if folks riding the Saturday train(Pass)saw the freight and decided to ride on Sunday(given availability).
More likely I could see groups of fans wanting to do this, say the week of some special event, or work session. It would not compete with other charters since it only covers one portion of the line.
Answer 3-By limiting the number of days it runs(saw once a week), you funnel reservations to that time, and in theory create the one day there should be enough riders.
The costs of all this are minimal. Pay the engine crew a full day instead of helper day. Add the Conductor and Brakeman and some coal for the few extra miles.
I bet if this were a regular option you could get some great PR out of the rail magazines, as well as the local press, since this could be another way to interpret what the railroad was really all about. I would invision a train made up of all different types of rolling stock for this purpose.
On days it is not used it is on display at Cumbres. Train crew could hang a nice banner or sign on the car nearest the crossing for C&TS advertising as well. At least the cars might get a little use this way as well.
Greg Scholl
Subject Author Posted

Profit from the helper engine

Greg Scholl September 12, 2000 01:54PM

Jay Wimer September 12, 2000 02:29PM

Greg Scholl September 12, 2000 03:40PM

Stupid Law?!

Sam March September 12, 2000 04:06PM

The Antonito End

Rick Steele September 12, 2000 04:20PM

Re: The Antonito End

Wade Hall September 13, 2000 10:00AM

Good Idea Almost

SAINT roger September 12, 2000 05:03PM

Re: Good Idea really!

Karl Hovanitz September 12, 2000 05:29PM

Re: Good Idea really!

Tom Henry September 12, 2000 06:25PM

Antonito Depot

keith hayes September 12, 2000 10:36PM

Non-issue

Greg Scholl September 13, 2000 09:14AM

Re: Non-issue

John Vandenberg September 13, 2000 10:23AM

Re: Steamfest

Fred T September 13, 2000 10:28AM

Re: Steamfest

G. W. Laepple September 13, 2000 11:04AM

Re: Non-issue

Sam March September 13, 2000 11:57AM

Different issue

Greg Scholl September 13, 2000 12:15PM

Fill the seats

Brian Norden September 13, 2000 11:13PM

Re: Fill the seats

Wayne Carson September 14, 2000 08:16PM

SteamFest

Tom Stewart September 13, 2000 02:18PM

Re: Stupid Law?!

Herb Kelsey September 14, 2000 12:37AM

Wayne Carson September 12, 2000 11:27PM

Bill Kepner September 13, 2000 10:32AM

Herb Kelsey September 14, 2000 12:40AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.