Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Old Douglas Commercial No.7

October 26, 2003 06:37PM
As a kid the family would see my Dad off on his many business trips . The best part was hearing ,one by one ,those radial engines rev up ! How the engines would shake on the nacelles when the fuel ignited ! Then one day I came home from school ,and the parents were busy dressing up and packing(remember when you dressed up to get on the plane?). "What's going on?",I asked . "We are going to New York City" , my mother replied matter-of-factly, as she put on a string of pearls on a black dress. I had flown on several DC-7s to Dallas,but this was the ultimate for little Johnny! We were flying American that afternoon. A silver bird with perfect orange trim . I still remember the smell of that high octane fuel (and the dried gum and cig butts on the black floor on the walk to the gate). Knowing that flight crews couldn't smoke Dear Old Dad bribed the crew with sample boxes of Chiclets and Dentyne . In return ....A six year old boy got to go in the cockpit ! Another extra ...The pilot pointed out the U.S. Capitol directly below to a wide-eyed boy ! (Dad also arranged the side-trip) . Then imagine the adventure of a boy exploring the wonder of Old New York City ,at its very best ! I still remember Macy's fabulous four-story toy store ! Also my only subway trip to Long Island City ,where American Chicle made all that gum .I will never forget huge wads of Beemans being amalgamated on huge moving tongs . Gawd ,Old Gotham was a vision of beauty in those days . New York City was what America is really all about ! It was late September and the weather was perfect .We stayed in the old Barbizon (now Hilton) ,overlooking Central Park . The Essex's old-English electric sign(still there) was in view from our window . Dad's company chums lived well ,in upscale Manhattan apartments ,and as I remember ,the laughs and the libations poured freely . Long Island looked park-like in those days .
The flight back was on TWA .Howard Hughes had just bought the first order of 707s , and Dad wanted to fly home on one of those new jets .The trip was quieter and faster , but it was not the same .I never rode in a radial-engine aircraft again ,and Lord do I miss em !
Subject Author Posted

Eurecka&palisades

steven dickey October 25, 2003 01:57PM

Re: Eureka and Aviation

Dan Markoff October 25, 2003 09:26PM

Old Douglas Commercial No.7

El Coke October 26, 2003 06:37PM

Re: Old Douglas Commercial No.7

Tom Moungovan October 26, 2003 09:16PM

Honorary Steam Locomotives

El Coke October 27, 2003 07:48AM

Re: Honorary Steam Locomotives

WP&Ymike October 27, 2003 10:01AM

Steam locomotives and Radial engines

Dan Markoff October 27, 2003 07:47AM

Re: Steam locomotives and Radial engines

Chile John October 27, 2003 01:57PM

The motor of American air superiority

El Coke October 27, 2003 04:37PM

Re: Steam locomotives and Radial engines

Ted Miles October 27, 2003 08:05PM

100 Octane Wood, Sagebrush and outhouses

Dan Markoff October 27, 2003 09:27PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.