Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Eureka and Aviation

October 25, 2003 09:26PM
Steven,
Thanks for your interest in Eureka at Railfest. We did not have any major mechanical problems this year. In fact, thankfully, we have never had any major mechanical problems in all the years we have been doing this. However, every so often, as to be expected with any machine, there is a little glitch that will pop up. This year, the automatic brake stand valve swallowed some crud and the piston would not reset. So, while taking on water tank at Hermosa while the locomotive was being serviced for the climb up the mountain, Earl Knoob field stripped and cleaned it, and before anyone knew the difference we were off and running. The guys in the pits at the Indianapolis 500 would have been proud of us!
As for vintage aircraft, or any aircraft for that matter, I am a fanatic. I have been a pilot for some 30 years, as a lawyer a major part of my practice concerns aviation, and I have worked at airports. My father was a B 17 pilot and commercial pilot, my wife worked for TWA and my inlaws were involved in a major airline. Aviation is in my blood and that of my family. Interestingly, most of the guys on Eureka's crew are also pilots. One is a retired Major General from the US Air Force, another is a Captain for United Airlines and many of the rest are private pilots. Not only that, my home, where Eureka is also kept, is less than a mile from my home airfield. When I restored Eureka, I did quite a bit of the sheet metal work at one of the large maintenance hangars at the airport.
So, there is a fairly close relationship between Eureka and aviation. Indeed, to a large degree it's flyboys that keep her going!
Dan Markoff
Subject Author Posted

Eurecka&palisades

steven dickey October 25, 2003 01:57PM

Re: Eureka and Aviation

Dan Markoff October 25, 2003 09:26PM

Old Douglas Commercial No.7

El Coke October 26, 2003 06:37PM

Re: Old Douglas Commercial No.7

Tom Moungovan October 26, 2003 09:16PM

Honorary Steam Locomotives

El Coke October 27, 2003 07:48AM

Re: Honorary Steam Locomotives

WP&Ymike October 27, 2003 10:01AM

Steam locomotives and Radial engines

Dan Markoff October 27, 2003 07:47AM

Re: Steam locomotives and Radial engines

Chile John October 27, 2003 01:57PM

The motor of American air superiority

El Coke October 27, 2003 04:37PM

Re: Steam locomotives and Radial engines

Ted Miles October 27, 2003 08:05PM

100 Octane Wood, Sagebrush and outhouses

Dan Markoff October 27, 2003 09:27PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.