Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: narrow gauge diesels

April 26, 2001 04:24PM
Doug,
I have read through the responses in this thread and I see that N4700 's fate was noted as being a bombing range target in California. That was reported in one of Jim Eakins articles in his narrow gauge newsletter he used to put out. I don't have the issue in front of me here at work, but if some one is interested I'll dig it out for the issue date. That article had drawings of the engine, also. Jim also had an article published in Model Railroader a number of years ago on kitbashing Athearn SW-1500's into ng diesels including N4700.
The 3000 went to Skagway to become #81 which has also been alluded to here, pictures show up on Borries-Burkhardts website as well as in some of the publications on the WP&Y. What hasn't been said yet is that the 3000 (a.k.a. #81) went to Guatemala on the IRCA I think (somewhere in Central America, anyway). It may still exist, albeit a derelict, down there yet today. Some time ago on the "old" ng board I asked the question whether anyone who had been to Guatamala recently had seen the 3000 but there was no response. Any body know?
Since the 3000 was used on the D&RGW, could it be brought back to the C&TS as a MOW / rescue engine? Of course, it probably wouldn't track any better on C&TS track than it did in DGO. (According to John Norwood's books, the 3-axle trucks were too stiff to successfully negotiate rough narrow gauge trackage, often having to back very carefully through switches to keep from derailing. Did the White Pass solve this problem?) Besides, I'm sure the money needed to return the loco to the U.S. could be better spent on more urgent things, like track and loco repair.
Ah, the stuff of dreams.
It is my thought (IMHO), however, that some means of rescuing stranded trains late in the season when the weather is not too friendly or forgiving in the high country beyond Cumbres Pass is something to consider. Also, having a Baggage car (or boxcar) equipped with some propane heaters, blankets and something to make some coffee and hot chocolate with would be good insurance if a breakdown occurred like last falls season finale. A rescue diesel stationed at Cumbres that was powerful enough to pull at least some of the cars back to Cumbres (#19 probably can't pull too many cars) for passenger unloading might not be a bad idea also. Not all year long, but during the fall weather. Maybe the snowshed could be used to keep it hidden and protected. Seems like that would be easier to get under way then trying to get a steam loco serviced, crewed and under way, plus the added time required by the distance from Chama to Cumbres. I am probably revisiting a subject that got a thorough trouncing last fall, but I was not able to read the boards back then, so forgive me if I am dredging up a subject that has already been hashed out.
(OK, I have my flak vest on so the diesel haters can fire away.)
Subject Author Posted

narrow gauge diesels

Doug vV April 21, 2001 07:45PM

PRR April 21, 2001 07:50PM

unsuccessful

Doug vV April 21, 2001 08:55PM

Diesel on Silverton Branch

Greg Scholl April 22, 2001 08:42AM

has the movie ever been on video? *NM*

Doug vV April 22, 2001 03:14PM

No it hasn't! NM *NM*

Greg Scholl April 23, 2001 06:10AM

Mark Yates April 22, 2001 01:37PM

Doug vV April 22, 2001 03:13PM

Bruce R. Pier April 22, 2001 04:14PM

PRR April 22, 2001 05:52PM

John A Hammond April 22, 2001 07:16PM

Doug vV April 23, 2001 04:58PM

Jim Adams April 26, 2001 07:00PM

John Hammond April 26, 2001 07:32PM

Dennis O'Berry April 24, 2001 11:46AM

Brian Norden April 24, 2001 08:34PM

Mark Valerius April 26, 2001 04:24PM

Narrow gauge diesel-MR article

Doug vV April 28, 2001 05:22PM

Re: Narrow gauge diesel-MR article

PRR April 29, 2001 02:04PM

Steffen Rosmus April 29, 2001 03:22PM

Mark Valerius April 30, 2001 06:53AM

Mark Valerius April 30, 2001 06:58AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.