> I bought a lot of VHS tapes back in the 80s when I
> had some $$$. Those days are long gone as I am on
> Social Security (thin cents instead of $$$!), I
> try to replace VHS tapes when the price or subject
> is right but I still have a LOT of VHS tapes,
> Maybe hundreds,,,,never counted. I am surprised
> how well the VHS tapes have survived. They've been
> in a outside shed with temps for 20 below to 120
> above. Low humidity,,,maybe too low at 10% or so.
> A few have lost their color a few have broken but
> its a rarely happens. The tapes are mostly 30 or
> 40 years old,,and look at all of those wheels and
> fragile tape and so on.Somehow they continue to
> work. Better than me some 30 or 40 years later!
>
> Husker Hank
> Another 77 Degree Scorcher
> Durango CO

Hank, Its good you keep your VHS tapes as long as possible, especially if those tapes never got produced on DVD. I have several titles that I never converted. One issue is finding a 3/4 inch deck that still plays the 3/4 field tapes. I went through 4 of them about 5-7 years ago. Got most of my originals copied onto Mini-DV tapes, but I still have about 60-70 20 minute tapes, and some 3/4 program masters that have not been converted. Another issue is the degradation of the tapes themselves. I found out one of the reasons I was having trouble is that over a long period of time, the tapes get degraded and get this oily substance on them. If that's the case they clog the heads on the 3/4 decks. Even with good players they would not play. I understand there is one possible solution--- "Tape Baking". There are places where you can tapes to be converted to other formats, and in the process they will "Bake. them" if need be. Basically they put them in some sort of oven and gently heat them, to try to dissolve the oil on the tape itself. There is always the risk of the tape getting too hot and ruining it so that's an issue. I need to try it sometime to save a lot of grief trying to convert them myself.

I mention this mainly to say that the VHS tapes COULD also have this problem with oil. I have not seen it as much, but then I don't mess with VHS that much. I would urge you though, and anyone else, to go out and buy 1 or maybe 2 additional VHS players for back-ups. Also you might consider getting a combo player. One that plays VHS and DVD. If you are a DVD only perhaps I would suggest you go out and buy a Blu-Ray player, that's because I understand they are no longer making standard definition DVD players. The great thing is the Blu-Ray player plays the standard def(SD DVD), as well as the better quality Blu-ray Discs. I have had several customers have issues with playing dvd's, and when they send them back they nearly always play fine here, but generally their players are old and need upgrading. When they get the new one(And I suggest Blu-Ray), they play fine. Another benefit of the Blu-Ray player is that when you play a SD DVD, the blu-ray player will up convert it, and in most cases it will look a little better than on the older DVD player. Backing up with extra machines either VHS or DVD/Blu-ray is highly recommended, just like backing up your media files from computer to an external now and then.

Greg
Subject Author Posted

Jim Marcus & Oiling Rails?

Husker Hank May 27, 2020 08:12PM

Re: Jim Marcus & Oiling Rails?

Olaf Rasmussen May 27, 2020 10:28PM

trainrider47 May 30, 2020 08:04AM

Greg Scholl May 30, 2020 08:54AM

Earl May 30, 2020 10:34AM

Greg Scholl May 30, 2020 12:59PM

trainrider47 May 30, 2020 01:52PM

Greg Scholl May 31, 2020 08:20AM

Re: Jim Marcus & Oiling Rails? VHS v DVD editing

Husker Hank May 31, 2020 01:13AM

Greg Scholl May 31, 2020 08:36AM

trainrider47 May 31, 2020 09:06AM

Greg Scholl May 31, 2020 09:23AM

Husker Hank May 31, 2020 01:38PM

Greg Scholl May 31, 2020 01:52PM

Husker Hank May 31, 2020 05:07PM

Greg Scholl June 01, 2020 06:52AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login