May 31, 2020 08:36AM
Husker Hank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Gorgeous
> 16 mm photography which actually looked better on
> VHS than DVD.

> Husker Hank
> Durango CO

Thats very odd. The idea of going to dvd was that past programs, that were supposedly shot on better equipment, and mastered on something better than VHS tape, could be cloned essentially making the DVD. In the early days of video VHS was the weakest part of the whole process. Before digital, everything was analog and that meant you had to copy original footage one or more times to make the program. For example if you shot on professional video such as 3/4, Betacam, Betacam-SP or other, you had to put the original tape in a machine and edit the parts you wanted to another tape to make your "Master". Hopefully that tape is as good or better than what you shot in the field. That way you hold the quality. If you wanted to do dissolve or fancy transitions you literally had to make a copy of your professional tape, and run the original and the copy at the same time, and meld them together on-the-fly with the editing equipment to blend the scenes together. The title had to be done at the same time. The first 15 years of my career doing video were spent at professional editing houses and one place had 2 editors. The one guy did the main video, while the other blended the audio with narration or music, and inserted the titles he had pre typed in the Chyron generator.

When I started I shot on VHS, and we made the master on 3/4 tape. Later I got 3/4 camera gear and we first mastered on 3/4, then went to 1-inch tape (A machine to play those tapes was $30K at one time, which explains why I was going to outside companies. So, if your master was on 3/4 or Betacam, or 1 inch, your VHS or Betam finished product tapes came from those better quality masters. Again VHS was the weakest link. So when DVD came along, the idea was to use the better masters from existing programs and take it digitally(DVD is digital right) into the computer and make the dvd program from the master. I wonder if your DVD came from one of the VHS product tapes instead of a master!!! I would think it would come from one of the masters.

Just to finish the history lesson, once DVD became a thing, producers had to make a master, then convert it to DVD, as for awhile you had to supply VHS and DVD. Now of course its DVD, or Blu-Ray in some cases, but its all digital files in some fashion.

Greg
Subject Author Posted

Jim Marcus & Oiling Rails?

Husker Hank May 27, 2020 08:12PM

Re: Jim Marcus & Oiling Rails?

Olaf Rasmussen May 27, 2020 10:28PM

trainrider47 May 30, 2020 08:04AM

Greg Scholl May 30, 2020 08:54AM

Earl May 30, 2020 10:34AM

Greg Scholl May 30, 2020 12:59PM

trainrider47 May 30, 2020 01:52PM

Greg Scholl May 31, 2020 08:20AM

Re: Jim Marcus & Oiling Rails? VHS v DVD editing

Husker Hank May 31, 2020 01:13AM

Greg Scholl May 31, 2020 08:36AM

trainrider47 May 31, 2020 09:06AM

Greg Scholl May 31, 2020 09:23AM

Husker Hank May 31, 2020 01:38PM

Greg Scholl May 31, 2020 01:52PM

Husker Hank May 31, 2020 05:07PM

Greg Scholl June 01, 2020 06:52AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login