Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Georgetown Loop, Now this:

September 12, 2007 09:44AM
Steve and Darren,

What I recounted came from no ex-Loop employees, but from independent persons who I respect who are educated in the art of Railroading.

What I question is not your defense of Railstar, but whether the CHS made the best decision for the continutaion of operation at the Loop.
I think that the CHS did not do what was best for the property and public, but did what was best for their egos.

This is no blast at Railstar but at the CHS.

My qustions about Railstar is the practice of cutting out cars, when the rules specifically state about the 100% operation of all brakes in every train from its initial terminal. There is also the rule about never having two cars with cut out brakes together in any train. You are playing with fire up there and will eventually get burned.

Steve, in the first season your operation successfully destroyed your two steam locomotives for the bulk of the second season. I cannot blame you for the broken axle on the 12 except to say that if the axles were welded and welds turned, your inspection should have told you of trouble right there. I can't accuse but I can relay what I was told about your lack of proper lubrication of the locomotives, which if true hastened their demise as viable power.

The running 9 out of tram and chewing up the flanges I have mentioned earlier happened totally during your tenure, Steve. You also loaded these locomotives to their maximum tonnage repeatedly and literally beat them to death. Yes, I know that the CHS expect maximum return on their dollars but as operator it is up to you to make them realize that they are not going to haul the capacity of the former operator with these little locomotives. Sometimes by caring for the equipment a bit pays big dividends later down the rosd.

Your attitude about the crappy equipment also tells me a great deal about Railstar's attitude. If the equipment was crappy, then don't run it until it is fixed to reliably take the service that you expect of it. Just because it belongs to Jason or was modified by him in no way relieves you from the ultimate oversite as to its safety. After all, is Railstar the concessionaire or not? Your statements reveal a lot about your attitude. The Locos belong to the state, the cars are Jason's responsibility, the property belongs to the state, so who cares? It doesn't belong to Railstar and since they pay your check, that's who your allegiance will be to.

Your comments to the former Railstar Employees are reprehensible. Imagine, you asking "Why did you go with the train when you were scared?" They went with the train because if they didn't it would be considered insubordinate and you could fire them. THese people had to eat and you had the biggest stick in the company, their paychecks. I'm not buying the benevolent dictator routine that you're playing out, Steve.

I'm sure the previous operators have a few skeletons in their closet, too. The difference is that they worked to overcome the obstacles and didn't become mired in them.

Rick
Subject Author Posted

Georgetown Loop, Now this:

Rick Steele September 10, 2007 08:36AM

Robin Warren September 10, 2007 08:54AM

Rick Steele September 10, 2007 08:57AM

Tim Schreiner September 10, 2007 09:00AM

Steven Torrico September 10, 2007 09:38AM

Rick Steele September 11, 2007 08:08AM

dan September 11, 2007 11:29AM

HOD Bill September 11, 2007 01:52PM

Rick Steele September 11, 2007 02:40PM

dan September 11, 2007 04:04PM

Eric Bolton September 11, 2007 04:48PM

Rick Steele September 12, 2007 09:09AM

dan September 12, 2007 12:35PM

HOD Bill September 11, 2007 05:56PM

Ryan Shofner September 11, 2007 03:40PM

Ryan Shofner September 11, 2007 03:39PM

Darren September 11, 2007 05:09PM

Tim Schreiner September 11, 2007 05:39PM

Eric Bolton September 11, 2007 05:58PM

Darren September 11, 2007 09:02PM

Steven Torrico September 12, 2007 08:34AM

Rick Steele September 12, 2007 09:44AM

Jason Midyette September 12, 2007 02:16PM

Rick Steele September 13, 2007 08:44AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login