Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Georgetown Loop, Now this:

September 11, 2007 08:08AM
Steve,

Whoa Boy, slow down.

When I read the article, I saw nothing about you mentioned at all. As a matter of fact, there was no mention of any individuals. There were allusions but no names.

First off, the authorship reads "Staff Report". Maybe Jason wrote an e-mail to somebody, but might it be possible that there was some further independent verification?

Second, the "report" was written in 2007. You, by your own admission, weren't even on site this year. I have heard the same accuisations by different people outside this forum, not affiliated with Jason in any way, shape or form. These came from people that I have the highest respect for and have great faith in their abilities.

For you to attack Jason like that is uncalled for. You said that he was hired as an engineer, conductor, fireman and carman. Don't you think that you're slicing the time of one employee a bit thin? Be that as it may, his tenure with the Loop is now over so your attack is really an exercise in nothing more than trying to discount his credibility and sully his reputation.

Sorry Steve, Jason has been publishing the Colorado Timetable for quite a while now and has a good reputation for getting his facts straight with the Railfanning Public. I see his publication occasionally when one of my Conductors brings one up with him. Unfortunately, the crediblity of the CHS and Railstar has been marred over the years by deception, deceit, and arrogance when it comes to the general public. You, in this instance, are associated with them and are tarred with their brush.

Your comment about the "Crappy Equipment" up there leads me to question whether you really cared about what went on up there or whether the summer of 2006 was just a way to tide yourself over until orders at Edwards picked up. That same sort of "Crappy Equipment" with the same type of K-Brake system served the Loop for 30 years under the previous owners. If you thought that they were crappy, why didn't you step in and rebuild the Pistons and triples so that they were more reliable. Cutting out a car on a train on a 4% grade is an invitation for disaster. Besides the FRA specifically states that 100% of the train brakes will work before a train leaves its initial terminal. I also know that the Loop is insular and can thumb its nose at the FRA regs if it wishes.

The 9 is what you were supplied with to use. Too bad that the State put just enough money in it to get it to run. If they were wise with their money they would have sent it to the other Strasburg and had a first class job done, but that is neither yours nor Uhrich's fault. It is the fault of the CHS, their ignorance and their "fix it quick" mentality. The CHS now has to find someone who will re-tire the 9 as running it out of tram will create sharp flanges, as they found out.

When I saw the operation, my family and I decided to pass the Loop bye and continue on to our destination in Breckenridge.

The operation was a bit too chaotic and unprofessional for me, but I freely admit that I worked for the Ashby's from 1969 to 1978 and that this did color my point of view. I also have to state that as a professional Railroader I was less than impressed.

I had a friend come out for the Run of the 844 to the Colorado State Fair. He went up to the Loop. There was a piece of paper taped to the door of the depot which said "closed for the Season". He was disappointed but not surprised after the stories that he had heard. He's a Railfan, but also the Vice President of a Regional Railroad. The sign struck me as a real "Professional" job, but again, not your fault.

So before you jump in and begin to deningrate any individuals, why don't you see what the reaction is and whether anybody even makes the leap in logic that you just did.

Judging by the comments posted here, Tim is one of the few that really care about what the Loop has become. Of course the article is a rehash of everything that has been discussed here.

And there's you Steve, defending yourself from the Monsters under your Bed.

Rick
Subject Author Posted

Georgetown Loop, Now this:

Rick Steele September 10, 2007 08:36AM

Robin Warren September 10, 2007 08:54AM

Rick Steele September 10, 2007 08:57AM

Tim Schreiner September 10, 2007 09:00AM

Steven Torrico September 10, 2007 09:38AM

Rick Steele September 11, 2007 08:08AM

dan September 11, 2007 11:29AM

HOD Bill September 11, 2007 01:52PM

Rick Steele September 11, 2007 02:40PM

dan September 11, 2007 04:04PM

Eric Bolton September 11, 2007 04:48PM

Rick Steele September 12, 2007 09:09AM

dan September 12, 2007 12:35PM

HOD Bill September 11, 2007 05:56PM

Ryan Shofner September 11, 2007 03:40PM

Ryan Shofner September 11, 2007 03:39PM

Darren September 11, 2007 05:09PM

Tim Schreiner September 11, 2007 05:39PM

Eric Bolton September 11, 2007 05:58PM

Darren September 11, 2007 09:02PM

Steven Torrico September 12, 2007 08:34AM

Rick Steele September 12, 2007 09:44AM

Jason Midyette September 12, 2007 02:16PM

Rick Steele September 13, 2007 08:44AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login