Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colorado vs. New Mexico

March 22, 2007 01:45PM
Having bounced like a ping-pong ball between two states I love, I have a host of conflicts about what I like and don't like about the two states.
New Mexico is heavy with the "encantado"- the enchantment. It is beautiful and dramatic. The weather is often as much of a show as its arresting natural beauty. It has changed, albeit slower than the rest of America. I used to say Chama is 39 and holding- 1939 and holding! Now I would say it looks like a town stuck in 1960 or 61. Driving through Santa Fe, Taos and the Rio Grande Valley still lighten my soul. However, I find New Mexico not that friendly, and never did. I like to call it "Third World Lite" with its poorly maintained infrastructure, the ridiculously poor service offered by local businesses and its clownishly corrupt politicians and public employees.
Colorado, too is heavy with legend and arresting natural beauty, but very different from New Mexico. The state is very conservative, and for a little too long it was all about exploitation of natural resources-and the people who mined them. There is a hard-nosed edge to the way things are done here. It's like the local powers-that-be imply that there are only a few families in town that deserve to make all the money. Even politicos in New Mexico would make sure public works money was spent locally (after thier families got ther fair share!). Culturally, New Mexico is rich with contributions from three cultures. Colorado is more outdoors and sports oriented. Colorado is changing, and there is a serious debate on how this jewel of the Rocky Mountain states can maintain its quality of life and protect its awesome natural beauty. People who live in Colorado are generally very glad to be here (there are a lot of transplants from other places), and I feel the state is far friendlier than New Mexico. And finally, the rule of law gets more respect in Colorado. An artist friend once summed it up perfectly..."The good news about New Mexico is you can do anything you want here. The bad news is so can your neighbor!" I love both states, but I have to say I like seeing "Welcome to the Land of Enchantment" sign at Chromo in my rear view mirror, as I drive to my beautiful little Southwestern Colorado ranch house I call home. I can see New Mexico from my living room window, but that is close enough.
Subject Author Posted

Denver Post's hide is chapped *LINK*

The Linkman March 22, 2007 11:30AM

Colorado vs. New Mexico

El Coke March 22, 2007 01:45PM

Re: Colorado vs. New Mexico

Kim L Smith March 22, 2007 03:11PM

Kim L Smith March 22, 2007 03:21PM

GB March 22, 2007 04:07PM

Kim L Smith March 22, 2007 07:21PM

Herb Kelsey March 22, 2007 04:15PM

Mike Trent March 22, 2007 06:55PM

Carlos Llamas March 23, 2007 01:01AM

Bravo, Carlos!

Marty Knox March 23, 2007 06:13AM

Mike Trent March 23, 2007 07:11AM

Kim L Smith March 23, 2007 08:00AM

Re: Colorado vs. New Mexico *PIC*

Larry Gibson March 23, 2007 02:24PM

Re: Deja Vu All Over Again?

Dick Cowles March 23, 2007 10:10AM

John who?

Skip Luke March 22, 2007 03:44PM

Re: John who?

John Kyler March 22, 2007 04:33PM

Re: John who?

Skip Luke March 22, 2007 05:48PM

FWIW...

Kim L Smith March 25, 2007 07:34AM

Re: FWIW...

Skip Luke March 26, 2007 06:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login