Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Is Chama ready if a yard fire started?

June 05, 2006 11:36PM
Greg, I am compelled to disagree with you on this one! Constructive dialog on safeguarding historical collections from loss by fire can only facilitate preservation.
There was previous reference to intentionally set fires, and I have personally witnessed the results of vandalism to the C @ TSRR caboose received in the Chama yard. Nevertheless, the greatest risk of fire destruction to the Chama RR assets would result from the extreme fire conditions that are locally experienced on a frequent basis. How many other RR museum collections are regularly subject to single digit humidity readings and sustained winds in excess of 30 knts?
The Village of Chama has servicable fire pumpers and motivated volunteer firefighters, but it would certainly be presumptious to assume that
there would be sufficient personnel, fire hose and most importantly sustained water flow capability to
contain an aggressive fire in old wooden railroad
railroad assets under hostile conditions. Please remember that the history of all western railroad communities, including Chama, are replete with archives describing severe fire events.
Assume that there was a lightning strike tomorrow to the upper level of the coaling tower. How would you propose controlling a high elevation fire without placing firefighters/RR employees at unacceptable risk? Might be a long wait for the closest available ladder truck!
I agree with PRSL that some separation of the rolling stock would create not only firebrakes but also access to more easily advance fire hoses should a fire develop.
About 5 years ago, I authored a study regarding
fire protection for the RR. It is not exactly on point as it was styled in anticipation of being affixed as an annex for a federal grant application for funds that were readily available at the time. Copies of the paper should be floating somewhere around Chama
In the interim, consideration of catastrophic fire risks should be elevated to the same focus level as operational safety.
Just my 2 cents!
Subject Author Posted

Not Narrow Gauge, but important *LINK*

David May 26, 2006 09:15PM

Re: Not Narrow Gauge, but important *LINK*

David May 31, 2006 06:38PM

Re: Not Narrow Gauge, but important

stuart olson May 31, 2006 06:51PM

PRSL June 01, 2006 08:03PM

David June 01, 2006 08:36PM

PRSL June 02, 2006 06:31AM

Al P. June 02, 2006 04:49PM

David June 02, 2006 05:45PM

PRSL June 05, 2006 08:02AM

Greg Scholl June 05, 2006 08:37AM

John Wilke June 05, 2006 11:36PM

Greg Scholl June 06, 2006 06:34AM

PRSL June 06, 2006 07:42AM

Greg Scholl June 06, 2006 09:14AM

PRSL June 06, 2006 04:46PM

George Gaskill June 06, 2006 12:27PM

David June 06, 2006 08:40AM

John Wilke June 06, 2006 10:42PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.