Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: EAST BROAD TOP - McKelvey Connection

September 19, 2005 09:48AM
I've heard of the connection behind the coal tipple only once before (you may be the same individual by another moniker). Presumably this was via the lead (and maybe tail) for the OLD coal tipple (since replaced by the exsting concrete one). However, that tail track grade ends abruptly on the hill, with no obvious signs of a grade down to street level (presumably this would join the tracks from the McKelvey enginehouse and the line into the woods to the east. Getting off the hill to run along the coke ovens would be really steep, but it's hard to know what's buried under that boney pile. Can you shed anymore light on this connection or the general area?
The McKelvey line presents a sizable hole in the historical documentation of the region (at least accesible documentation). I hope those who have assembled some accounts and records will someday publish their findings. I must acknowledge here the series on tracing the line by George W. Cook in the FEBT's quarterly publication "Timber Transfer", but the details of operations, the sawmill/enginehouse/connection area, equipment, and so forth could use illumination.
Subject Author Posted

EAST BROAD TOP- A Visit - NO LOOP!

Lon Wall September 14, 2005 07:49PM

Re: EAST BROAD TOP- A Visit - NO LOOP!

Lee Carlson September 15, 2005 07:25AM

Re: EAST BROAD TOP- A Visit - NO LOOP! *LINK* *PIC*

Christopher D. Coleman September 15, 2005 08:05AM

Lon Wall September 15, 2005 03:00PM

Re: EAST BROAD TOP- A Visit

PRSL September 15, 2005 10:26PM

Re: EAST BROAD TOP- A Visit *LINK*

Jim Vliet September 16, 2005 04:47AM

Re: EAST BROAD TOP- A Visit

PRSL September 16, 2005 08:31PM

William Adams September 19, 2005 09:48AM

William Adams September 19, 2005 09:48AM

PRSL September 19, 2005 01:49PM

Christopher D. Coleman September 16, 2005 07:17AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.