Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Friends of the San Juan Extension Main

June 06, 2000 09:25PM
Hi Grant,
As we've already said, nothing will happen if we do not dream and do not try. It might be a long shot in rebuilding the line, but so was rebuilding the Georgetown loop.
>Seems like you've got this pretty well figured out. I'll do what I can from CA, but it looks like our third member will need to do the rest, being he's closer than us .
See his post to the Narrow Gauge Discussion Group. If Bill can send each of us some raw documentation, you and/or I can process it. Counties that the railroad ran through can probably be found out by looking on a highway atlas. It will need to be confirmed in other ways.
> I'll see what I can scare up for motive power.
:Here's what I see the situation as:
:42 Possible to get, but needs to be rebuilt
42 is owned by the D&SNG. It might be for sale. A few years ago, the D&SNG wanted to restore the loco to operation for movie and special events operation but it is too light for their regular length trains.
>315 Unknown
Owned by the city of Durango. It is my understanding that it was in rough shape when it was given to the city. Durango might be more willing to aid the replacement of rail if their locomotive would be run. However Durango already has a railroad running. Durango was also hostile to the preservation of the main to Chama in 1968. Their congressman actively worked against the National Park Service acquiring any of the Durango-Alamosa mainline in fears that it would take tourists away from the Silverton branch. So lobbying Durango (both the city and the citizens) would be very important to success. Additionally, the D&SNG would have a big influence on Durango's political position on our efforts. Keeping on very good terms with D&SNG would be very, very important.
>464 Hopefully can acquire
It is my understanding that Huckleberry does not really want the loco but does not really want to get rid of her. Her previous owner (Knotts Berry Farm), for some reason, removed her superheater tubes. The loco is now a "wet" engine instead of a "dry" engine. She is also now an oil burner instead of a coal burner. As I understand it, since modifications to 464 were done, she has become a difficult steamer. The superheater parts are long gone and would be extremely difficult to fabricate (not impossible).
>483 The C&TS won't let go of her
:492 Probably will be restored
:493 Possible to acquire before she rusts away in Silverton
There are no new narrow gauge mikes being built. I sincerely doubt that the D&SNG would be willing to sell any of hers. They might be willing to lease.
>494 Decent shape, likely to be acquired
Many parts are missing is my understanding. The States of Colorado and New Mexico would not be willing to dispose of their only possible parts source. (just like the D&SNG) This is why I do not think we are an independent group. We are independent as far as seeing what it will take to rebuild the line, but when it comes time to acquire property or lay track or operate, we should enter into a agreement with either the Railroad Commission (C&TS) and/or the D&SNG. They have the motive power and the operational experience. To me, it might make best sense to "merge" the line with the Railroad commission so that the States of Colorado and New Mexico can provide funding for maintenance.
>495 Bad shape, but could run if parts are replaced
see above.
>498 Possibility, needs tender
see above.
> What we truly need to find out is a way to manage the railroad, ie, will there be a joint ownership with the C&TS, or will it be independent, etc. Also, what would we do for coaches? I know there are many out there, but most are inoperable. I am somehwat limited as to when I can get someone to drive me, it will be another year till I get my license. Until then, I think it's important that we get some more support from the guys on the BBS, no matter how determined the three of us are, it's going to take a lot more people to get this done. We also need to alert the appropriate people, the C&TS, the D&S, and the involved counties and towns.
We do need to contact a lot of people. We need to build up group credibility. To prove that we are more than just talkers. Bill is going to start on the research needed locating where the railroad actually ran. Once done, we can then look into who owns what and how to preserve what. Rolling stock right now is very low in priority. Operational issues are a mute point until we can see what we are up against in trying to acquire the right of way. We need to make sure the grade can be saved and see about doing it. Once we have the grade in hand, then laying track and acquiring rolling stock can be worried about.
>You can add a fourth person to our group, my father Richard. He and I have talked often of re-building the line, but we have never been able to find someone who is serious enough about it. He also has a great business background, among other qualities with working with people.
Great. We do need all the help we can get. Do you or your father know anyone who is interested in this project who lives in the Colorado/New Mexico area and could give us help?
>We can't let this hope die. 30 years is long enough to be gone, but in another 30 years, it might be too late.
I hope it's not too late now. We won't know that unless we look into it.
>May god be with us on this venture, Grant
A shorter term goal may be to look into rebuilding Durango to Ignacio and seeing if the D&SNG would run a gambling train.
Any one else interested in helping?
Doug.
Subject Author Posted

Old DRGW Right of Way

Jessica Stacey May 29, 2000 02:53PM

Re: Old DRGW Right of Way

J Freeland May 29, 2000 04:25PM

G. W. Laepple May 29, 2000 06:14PM

Tom Stewart May 30, 2000 08:13AM

B Shoup May 29, 2000 08:15PM

flatlander May 30, 2000 06:10PM

Old ROWs

Mikky May 31, 2000 09:53PM

Doug vV` June 02, 2000 01:29AM

rebuilt on the old grade

Doug vV June 05, 2000 05:22PM

Re: rebuilt on the old grade

Bill Malin June 06, 2000 12:52AM

Re: rebuilt on the old grade

Douglas van Veelen June 06, 2000 10:55AM

Count me in

Grant Houston June 06, 2000 02:43PM

Re: Count me in

Bill Malin June 06, 2000 04:32PM

For more info on the Re: Count me in

Doug vV June 06, 2000 07:11PM

Our motto

Grant Houston June 06, 2000 08:02PM

Re: Our motto

Bill Malin June 06, 2000 09:15PM

Friends of the San Juan Extension Main

Doug vV June 06, 2000 09:25PM

overview of project

Doug vV June 06, 2000 09:31PM

Clarification

Doug vV June 06, 2000 09:36PM

Re: Easment

Jessica Stacey June 06, 2000 11:25PM

Re: Easment

Doug vV June 06, 2000 11:44PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.