Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NG not equal to 1"

Duane Richardson
February 08, 2001 09:24AM
pmc...or pms?
Since I don't live next door to the yards I can't work on the real thing. Since it won't fit in my garage I don't have anything here to work on. In the mean time I model. I understand you point of view and will fight to the death your right to think that way....wrong as it may be.
I have learned a lot from this board. I've become interested in how the real engines work and that has helped me become a better modeler. I've asked a couple of questions here that were modeling related and they were graciously answered. I have tried to ask about the prototype, when I can, so that it fits the ‘spirit’ of this board.
Personally, there are several posts on this board that don’t mean a thing to me so I don’t read them. My interest was only in Colorado narrow gauge. I have since learned a lot about the SVR among others and hope to visit them one day. I learned it all from this board and it started from my modeling.
My modeling has caused me to buy books and learn the history of the railroads. That history I have shared with my father who also models. I have been sharing it with my 5 year old nephew who is already interested in trains. He could very well grow up and work on one of these roads that we love so much. He could decide to dedicate time and money to those efforts as well. Thus the modeling has now sparked the interest of a child that will be the generation to take these trains over in the future. I, myself, am part of a generation that will be taking it over from many of you. And I am here because I model and like many of us here, fell in love with the narrow gauge roads the first time I laid eyes on it. The “toys” have lead to me learning about the real thing and passing that on and keeping the history alive.
Teachers told me that my drawing in my free time was a waste. Tell that to John Coker. His work is incredible. I don’t think that any of us find it a waste. There are many in the art world that won’t bother to give it a second glance because of the subject matter. We, on the other hand, can’t get enough of it. It’s all in your point of view.
The urge to post a message just saying, “Bite me” has been hard to overcome. I’m sure that there is something that you enjoy as a hobby that I might find childish or boring. Difference being is I’m not posting messages to the entire world complaining about it and showing my butt.
If it keeps the history alive, great! If it can help to get kids interested, great! We’re not ‘taking the easy way out’. Unfortunately some of us can’t be more than cheerleaders to those who can do the preservation work. Until that changes for me I would rather spend some time playing with my ‘toys’. As for questioning our manhood, we may have to take you out back and beat you with our teddy bears.
Duane Richardson
Subject Author Posted

NG not equal to 1"

pmcassell February 07, 2001 08:23AM

NG is equal to 1", depending on your point of view

Rick Steele February 07, 2001 10:41AM

Re: Preservation at less than 12"=12"

Curtis F. February 07, 2001 10:50AM

Re: Preservation at less than 12"=12"

Jim February 07, 2001 02:14PM

Hey , it's the dead of Winter !

El Coke February 07, 2001 01:52PM

Isn't there room for both?

Mikky February 07, 2001 02:21PM

Re: Isn't there room for both?

Fred t February 07, 2001 02:47PM

jaybawb February 07, 2001 07:46PM

jaybawb February 07, 2001 07:39PM

Jay? Personal Attacks?

Kevin Cook February 08, 2001 10:33AM

Re: Jay? Personal Attacks?

jaybawb February 08, 2001 11:02AM

pmc: Thanks for the Comments...

Mike Trent February 07, 2001 04:00PM

Re: pmc: Thanks for the Comments...

C.H.Irvin February 07, 2001 06:21PM

Room at the Inn

Stevo del Applegato February 07, 2001 10:28PM

Oooops!

Stevo del Applegato February 07, 2001 10:34PM

Re: pmc: Thanks for the Comments... *PIC*

jaybawb February 07, 2001 07:52PM

Re: NG not equal to 1"

Duane Richardson February 08, 2001 09:24AM

History to my kids...

Kevin Cook February 08, 2001 10:24AM

You are invited

RBrinton February 08, 2001 12:22PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.