Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Mr.Markoff- A Hero

February 05, 2001 07:58PM
YIKES!!!! A Hero? An icon? Wow, after all the lawyer jokes I have had to listen to for the last 30 years, that is really a change. But really, thank you for the kind words. However, I never thought myself as such. Occasionally, during the restoration, I was fairly well convinced that I was nuts to get into the project. But now that it is over, I would not have missed it for anything. I have got to admit, it is nice to go out to the shop and see Eureka sitting there in all her majesty, but that does not compare to when I take her out on the road and run her....to see all the smiling faces, the thumbs up, the "V" for victory signs, and so on. If there is one thing I have learned, it is that Eureka is more than a steam locomotive. It is a symbol of America and the building of our country. It is pride in the workmanship from our forefathers, that is a gift to us to admire and remember. For those reasons I have come to realize that it is more than just a neat piece of equipment. The sight of Eureka running ignites the imagination, and pride in our history. And that is everything. I hope we can keep doing this for many years to come, and let the generations of the 21st century experience the sight and emotions that come with an operating American standard locomotive.
As to your other questions about transportation, we use a low boy for the locomotive and a 40 ft Dorsey step deck for the tender and equipment. We carry a portable ramp with us, which consists of rails that are held in gauge by tie rods. Sufficient cribbing is also carried on the step deck to unload or load almost anywhere. As for the transition between the rails and the ramp, we use what we call points, which are rails the same size as the ramp, but with one end tapered to the head of the rails so that the equipment can roll up on to the points and up the ramp. The locomotive is tied down at the truck frames, the pilot draw bar, the front axle and the rear frame. Use softeners wherever chains cross the equipment. As the locomotive usually travels cab first, the top of the cab must also be tied down, because it is like a huge sail. The straps over the cab must be tied to the locomotive, otherwise if the locomotive moves up and down over the road, even though very slightly, the strain on the cab straps will be enormous, and could cause damage as well.
The tender is tied down from the draw bar pin on the front and the coupler in the rear. Chains must be spread to each side of the trailers so that it is distributed. Do not tie the tender down from the trucks otherwise when a bump is hit the tender body will lift up and down. Eventually it will get cocked on the center bearings...and that ain't good.
This is not a complete discription, but it gives you the basics. It isn't the only way to do it, but it has worked well for us for 10 years. Your particular equipment will have special considerations for your load. Study it carefully before you launch off down the highway.
Yes, we do get all kinds of comments when we transport Eureka. One of my favorites was about 3 years ago when some other trucker called on the CB radio over to my trucker and said, "Sure is good to see us carrying the competition for once!"
Dan Markoff
Subject Author Posted

D&S = Star of new movie

Steve Peck February 03, 2001 07:57AM

Re: D&S = Star of new movie

Dick Bell February 03, 2001 09:33AM

Will Gleckler February 03, 2001 11:05AM

Will Gleckler February 03, 2001 11:09AM

rick b February 03, 2001 12:34PM

Dan Markoff February 03, 2001 10:56PM

rick b February 04, 2001 12:00AM

Dan Markoff February 04, 2001 08:58AM

Thanks Dan

Doug vV February 04, 2001 05:19PM

Mr.Markoff- A Hero

pmcassell February 05, 2001 12:49PM

Dan Markoff February 05, 2001 07:58PM

Re: Mr.Markoff- Working Preservationist *PIC*

Fred T February 05, 2001 11:57PM

Moving up north

James R. Temple February 06, 2001 12:45AM

A quick question

Kelly Anderson February 06, 2001 03:39PM

Re: A quick question

Dan Markoff February 06, 2001 07:02PM

Another perspective

RBrinton February 07, 2001 08:51AM

Brian Norden February 06, 2001 07:50PM

Hats off to Markoff

Wade February 06, 2001 03:12PM

Re: Hats off to Markoff

Dan Markoff February 06, 2001 06:55PM

Ken Burns and Trains

Chile John February 05, 2001 01:02PM

Les Clark February 05, 2001 04:38PM

Tom Kneib February 04, 2001 12:59PM

Brian Norden February 04, 2001 11:07PM

pmcassell February 05, 2001 12:53PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.