Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Georgetown Loop/CC -question

November 11, 2006 02:52PM
Doug,
Not much. West of Floyd Hill old Hwy. 6, and now a frontage road, is pretty much on the grade, except for just outside and through Idaho Springs. In town the location of the grade is still there but you wouldn't know it if you didn't know what you were looking at. West of Idaho Springs the construction of the interstate highway and frontage road pretty much changed the whole valley, including the creek bed and railroad route. If you drive west of Idaho Springs on the frontage road there are a few pieces of the grade that can be seen. At Dumont the original location of the depot, RR grade, creek bed and in fact pretty much the entire town is where the highway is now. The depot was saved and moved up the hillside to the south. At Empire Junction the grade goes through private property where the depot still exists in its original location but heavily remodeled into a residence. It also goes through a CDOT maintenance yard where over the years ties and other RR junk have been unearthed. Due to highway construction and flood damage, between Empire Junction and Georgetown virtually nothing is left. In Georgetown the grade is visible as it diverged from the spur to the depot before it is encrouched upon by several houses and a mine dump that buried the grade after the RR was abandoned. Just above the end of the main street in Georgetown (actually 6th. St.) is an impressive rock wall that supported the grade as it climbed out of town toward the Loop and Silver Plume. West of Silver Plume there actually are a few pieces of the old grade to Graymont that can be seen. There is also an interesting beginning of a grade that would have eliminated the switchbacks on the Argentine Central. I don't know if this was started after the completion of the AC or if this was a route that was started before they decided begin the RR in Silver Plume and use switchbacks. Out of Graymont (or Bakerville as it is known today) you can drive up and see the portal of the Atlantic & Pacific Tunnel which was to be a rail connection to the Keystone Branch on the other side of the divide. I've seen the portal of this tunnel but have no idea how they were going to get the railroad up there as it is considerably above the Clear Creek valley floor.
Hope you find this helpful. This is an interesting area to explore and I did a lot during the 20+ years I lived there.
Phil
Subject Author Posted

Georgetown Loop End of Track

Festus November 09, 2006 01:12PM

Re: Georgetown Loop End of Track

Charlie McCandless November 09, 2006 07:26PM

Phil Hackman November 10, 2006 09:31AM

Phil Johnson November 10, 2006 01:22PM

Jeff Ramsey November 10, 2006 01:43PM

Phil Johnson November 10, 2006 02:22PM

Rick Steele November 10, 2006 05:45PM

Phil Johnson November 10, 2006 08:20PM

Georgetown Loop/CC -question

Douglas van Veelen November 10, 2006 09:22PM

Phil Johnson November 11, 2006 02:52PM

Robert Herronen November 13, 2006 10:12AM

Festus November 13, 2006 02:22PM

Phil Johnson November 13, 2006 09:14PM

Rick Steele November 14, 2006 09:01AM

Phil Johnson November 14, 2006 03:35PM

Charlie McCandless November 11, 2006 02:54PM

Phil Johnson November 11, 2006 05:27PM

Great Stories and one more

Greg Scholl November 11, 2006 06:02PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.