Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions

August 30, 2006 09:40AM
Now since the #9 was down just a few weeks ago for other issues couldn't the scheduled work for the end of August have been moved ahead? It may have meant one or two more days of one shutdown instead now projecting a public image of random shutdowns and sporatic operation. These types of images can be devastating to not only your reputation but the industry in general. As one train is the same as another in the public eye.
As a distant observer I now must ask the question of how many days in a 30 year period did the previous operator miss for mechanical failure of the entire locomotive fleet? I understand Railstar is limited by what they are being provided from the Historical Society or whatever it is, but is not that same group funding the rebuild of another locomotive by the same company that rebuilt the #9 which is yet to be proven a reliable machine?
Please understand I am not "bashing" Railstar but merely trying to place a perspective on the overall effect that any operation that the public may interpret as "sub-standard" or "fly-by-night" since that will form their opinion of all tourist railroads. If I was driving across country with plans of stopping at Georgetown Loop RR and arrived to find it closed because all of the locmotives were broken I would be disappointed and upset, but then a week or so later after altering my plans to allow me to drive by on the way home to find it was running but is broken down again I would become very vocal to friends and family about how they should not make plans to do things involving old trains as they seem to be broken quite often.
Ultimatley it sounds as if the entire operation was intended to fail, not through any fault or lack of effort by Railstar, but by the fact that the Historical Society is not edjucated in operating, maintaining or running this or any railroad. Their lack of knowledge is what is requiring trains to be run on the edge of, or exceeding workable tonnage limits and forcing the antique equipment to be brutally abused for the sake of not having to admit they were wrong. Don't worry there is an endless supply of narrow gauge locomotives that the CHS can purchase, hastily rebuild and have someone destroy in effort to cover the mistake they have made!
Subject Author Posted

what goes at loop

T Klinger August 29, 2006 08:55PM

Re: what goes at loop

Jeff Terry August 29, 2006 10:12PM

Re: what goes at loop

Steven Torrico August 30, 2006 06:54AM

Re: Correction

Steven Torrico August 30, 2006 07:10AM

Questions

Mike Hunt August 30, 2006 09:40AM

Re: Questions *LINK*

Lance Myers August 30, 2006 09:53AM

Re: Questions

Mike Hunt August 30, 2006 10:16AM

Steven Torrico August 30, 2006 10:49AM

Skip Luke August 30, 2006 04:40PM

Steven Torrico August 30, 2006 05:15PM

What Can Be Done Differently

Jack W. August 30, 2006 05:53PM

Re: What Can Be Done Differently

Skip Luke August 31, 2006 04:35PM

Karell Reader August 31, 2006 08:49PM

Chris Webster August 31, 2006 10:44PM

Shane Schabow August 30, 2006 11:25AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.