Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C&S #9 the rest of the story (train)

August 03, 2006 12:07AM
Derrell:
Well the reference to "4228 listed 1938" came from your spreadsheet that you gave me way back in the day...which interestingly has some different information from what you published in Grandt VIII...I think we are both in agreement that we will probably have to be happy with our one remaining St. Charles survivor, #4319 and hope she can someday get to roll on down to SP along with caboose #1006 if only for a weekend on our "re-creation" train...
Now back to the rest of our consist... I think we both are in agreement that a Type 2 coal is our most likely candidate for recreation, unless a bunch of Bettendorf underframes were to magically pop-up (never say never)...
Again the practicalities of using a coal car for passengers especially with handicap access is a big challenge but not impossible (don't they have a ADA grandfather regulation like they do with remodeled houses where if you reuse a few pieces you get a break on the remodel ...vs. new construction?? Where are those ASF bolsters when we need them most....
I am thinking though access is just one ramp/ drop side door for each side either in the middle or on diagonally opposite sides as they need to load at Silver Plume from the right and off load at Devils Gate on the left if my memory serves. For such a short run I am not sure why other than crew access if this would be considered sufficient access (no thru car access in the ends). Then the compromise from the car side view is just how well the door is integrated between the stakes/ sides.
BTW why were these cars classifed as "coals" when in reality they hauled many other loads; ore, pipe, lumber, etc. etc.. and are really gondolas...inquiring minds want to know...
Subject Author Posted

C&S #9 the rest of the story (train) *PIC*

Rod Jensen July 31, 2006 06:04PM

Derrell Poole July 31, 2006 08:07PM

Jeff Ramsey July 31, 2006 11:14PM

Rick Steele August 01, 2006 02:07PM

Derrell Poole August 01, 2006 02:42PM

Rod Jensen August 01, 2006 05:33PM

Derrell Poole August 01, 2006 11:22PM

Derrell Poole August 02, 2006 09:53AM

Rod Jensen August 03, 2006 12:07AM

Derrell Poole August 03, 2006 01:17AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.