Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Last (wo)man standing

April 15, 2006 09:35AM
I, Kim L. Smith, am the only person left of RGRPC "one". I was there on that fateful day, April 1, 2000, when RGRPC became the new operator of the railroad. I was AMAZED at the tenacity and determination of the people who really wanted this railroad to operate. As yet ANOTHER Commission envoked crisis was averted, RGRPC/FRIENDS and its supporters donated/loaned HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars to this end. I was dumbfounded that people cared that much about this railroad. I saw it, lived it, breathed it EVERY DAY. As one crisis after another was hurled at the railroad, the make-up of the Board changed, the goals of the Friends reverted back to their orginal mission, and RGRPC "two" emerged. Again, loaded with Board members who really wanted this railroad to operate, but also wanted it to be a succesful business. Now, what remains of the RGRPC board, wants to professionally, and ethically place the corporation into a dormant status,and pay off ALL the private debt(the commercial debt has been paid), and finacial obligations. To do this, requires the sale of the fixed assets that were purchased during RGRPC one and two's tenure. RGRPC's cost basis was provided to the Commission, and THE COMMISSON established fair market value, AND replacement cost. When these costs were compared to the asking price, the Commission KNEW they had a bargain at $105K, but RGRPC isn't going to budge on the price. We asked for $160K last fall, but had to sell the fire truck to generate revenue to CONTINUE carry LIABILITY insurance on our fixed assets, and D&O insurance. The flat cars were pulled for another reason that I will not discuss here, and thus the asking price was REDUCED another $30K to compensate for this. And still the Commission is only paying $105K for the assets, which according to the COMMISSION ESTABLISHED fair market value, is only about 40 cents on the dollar. RGRPC could have easily sold most of the assets to other railroads, and beleive me they were lined up. But again, the FRIENDS stepped up to the plate and saved the deal. Had the COMMISSION taken the deal we offered last fall, they would have ONE fire truck, TWO flat cars, and a payment plan. But, they don't, not because it wasn't offered to them, but by their own volition.
So, Mr. Chris, Don't talk to me about being raked over the coals. And RGRPC will GLADLY bring on an "investigation". My guess is the Commission would just as soon, not.
I recently had a 15 minute discussion with Governor Richardson about the railroad. He understands the disfunctionality of the railroad/Commission. And, he plans to do something about it ,and is already working on it. I hope he is successful, because it is a very bold move.
Some one asked me if I wished the CTSMC success.
I said, "No, I wish them sanity". And I truly mean that.
Subject Author Posted

Pueblo Chieftain - C&Tpays top dollar *LINK*

roger hogan April 11, 2006 02:33PM

Re: it really is true . . .

John Craft April 11, 2006 05:13PM

Chris April 11, 2006 07:22PM

Money hungry grubbers?

Brian Shoup April 11, 2006 11:53PM

Thanks Brian!

John Cole April 12, 2006 07:12AM

Re: Money hungry grubbers?

Craig Kumler April 12, 2006 04:48PM

Last (wo)man standing

Kim L Smith April 15, 2006 09:35AM

Re: Last (wo)man standing

John West April 15, 2006 10:52AM

Les Clark April 15, 2006 05:01PM

Thank You

roger hogan April 15, 2006 02:11PM

John Frank April 15, 2006 03:57PM

Kim L Smith April 15, 2006 04:46PM

tom casper April 15, 2006 07:50PM

Re: Money hungry grubbers?

Cal Smith April 16, 2006 06:41PM

John Craft April 12, 2006 10:27AM

Chris April 15, 2006 08:11PM

Chris April 17, 2006 07:46PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.