Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Forgot about the "master plan"

Earl
November 11, 2000 01:42PM
The Scenic Master Plan is a wonderful bit of fiction. I got my copy from Getman - I think. It is full of wild and wonderful ideas. I liked the "pedestrian underpass" under yard to get from the old depot to the new depot. It would have made a wonderful shelter for Chama's Finest as well as lovely skating rink in the winter. Actually the idea for a new depot was good one. No matter how much money is ever plowed into the Chama Depot, it will never be capable of handling the huge crowds of today. When the idea came about for its current facelift, Joe and I had the idea of building a seperate ticket office/office building across the driveway against the hill. It would be two story on the yard side, single story on the street side. Offices upstairs, ticketing downstairs. The new office could have situated far enough to the west as to not spoil the historic appearance of the yard. The depot building could have been lovingly restored to its original state, not the cobbled up mess it is today.
Another groovy Scenic idea was restoring Cumbres, rebuilding the depot and sinking the highway into an underpass under the railroad. Knowing the weather up there, the snow and ice on the road would melt in the sun and run down into the underpass and freeze up again. We would end up with the automotive version of Hagerman
Tunnel. Just think of all those gasoline tankers and rock trucks jackknifed together in there. Cool.
About the only thing that ever came to pass as designed was Antonito. I looks suprizingly similar to the drawing - except for the big fountain between the depot and the enginehouse.
Subject Author Posted

History of Wool Warehouse

Frank Martindell November 07, 2000 10:00AM

Re: History of Wool Warehouse

El Coke November 07, 2000 10:26AM

Earl November 11, 2000 09:00AM

Forgot about the "master plan"

El Coke November 11, 2000 09:32AM

Re: Forgot about the "master plan"

Earl November 11, 2000 01:42PM

woulkd work good in Califiornia

El Coke November 11, 2000 03:53PM

Who knew....

Herb Kelsey November 12, 2000 11:27PM

Sleeping Car Service

Les Jarrett November 12, 2000 12:41PM

Frank Martindell November 15, 2000 07:25PM

Theory

El Coke November 16, 2000 08:20PM

Re: Theory

Earl November 18, 2000 08:21AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.