Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: More State Money? Danger Ahead!

Wade Hall
October 12, 2000 07:44PM
Let there be no mistake, Amendment 21, if passed, will lead to financial ruin to nearly all tax-supported public taxing entities in Colorado over time. It will bankrupt the small local districts first, then spread to the county and state level next. It would most certainly eliminate any "discretionary" spending at the state level, which any C&TS request must be considered.
Entities with small tax bases (small districts and impoverished counties like those in the San Luis Valley) would be hit hardest. It is very possible that the C&TS's Colorado portion served by those districts could be without emergency services (ambulance, fire, etc.) within a year or two if 21 passes. I wonder if the C&TS could get insurance to operate in that scenario. This isn't alarmist crap. I did the analysis for the various districts in my county--all except a couple of towns, the school district and the county would be almost completely devoid of tax revenue within 1 to 3 years. Despite what the Amendment's proponents say, THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT IN THE AMENDMENT FOR THE STATE TO "BACKFILL" LOST REVENUE TO LOCAL AND COUNTY DISTRICTS, NOR IS THERE ANY ASSURANCE THAT THE STATE WOULD HAVE SUFFICIENT REVENUE TO DO SO EVEN IF IT WANTED TO.
Colorado Friends members should strongly consider what the implications of this Amendment could be to not only the C&TS, but also to their own safety, security, and economic well-being.
MY DISCLAIMER:
Though I am an elected county official, the opinion I express here is mine as a private citizen. I am writing this on my personal home computer on my own personal time.
Subject Author Posted

More State Money? Danger Ahead!

LongtimeLurker October 12, 2000 02:24AM

Howard Bunte October 12, 2000 09:26AM

Wade Hall October 12, 2000 07:44PM

George Gaskill October 13, 2000 11:21AM

Jim Burrill October 13, 2000 01:59PM

RBrinton October 13, 2000 03:04PM

Here are some links.

Sam March October 13, 2000 03:55PM

I'm a conservative, not an anarchist!

Wade Hall October 14, 2000 08:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.