Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LET'S TALK FACT....

August 22, 2000 07:47PM
As I arrive home from a weekend of work on the new D&RG RY I see rumors spread here just as fast as they do in Creede. For those who do not know me I am one of the workers on the South Fork to Creede line. Although My name is not listed in the article, I am one that helped put up the fence.
NOW LETS TALK FACT.
Our Foundation was advised by our attorney and our insurance carrier that we need to post area's we own or control with NO TRESPASSING signs. This to protect both the Foundation and residents or other parties. (I'm sure you have scene the railroad signs all along railroad tracks). Weeks ago the sheriff was notified and sent all legal documents of our right to post our right-of-way. The city over a month ago was given a letter telling them to vacate the area due to the fact this area is our train yard. (Yes it has track both visible and some under the dirt and boulders, That the city dumped on it).
Saturday about mid-day we arrived into Creede. We began by measuring the area. Most of the area we pulled well back from our true property line to not impede with traffic or other styles of travel. Fence posts were driven widely spaced apart with signs posted NO TRESPASSING or NO PARKING. A bright orange style of bailing string was used to mark between the posts. Keep in mind only the yard was being fenced. All access to the museum was left open and unobstructed.
About 80% of the people we came in contact with during the day were in full support of the train and can't wait for the economic boost to the town it will bring. As for the other 20% they felt it necessary to drive by yelling very harsh profanities. I asked a few if they would like to stop and talk about the railroad on a professional manner. Needless to say that was returned with more profanities. A big problem with the town is the use of rumors verses fact. As we talked with most, they only hear what the rumor mill brings or what some paper's headlines state. Don at this time has not received A CALL OR MAIL regarding anyones dislike about the railroad, he has only received letters of support.
As we finished fencing off the area the Sheriff took pictures of the entire yard to prove fencing was put up. We left around seven to go get a bite to eat. Upon returning we found the railroad yard's temporary fences and signs to be destroyed. A police report was filed on Saturday (unlike what some publish). Evidence at this time was taken and the yard was left as the way the vandals had left it. The evidence and report was to be forwarded over to the Federal Authorities for Federal charges to be filed. Some of you may think this is to harsh for us to do. But a crime is a crime, there are other ways for this small group to protest, vandalism is not one of them.
Sunday we returned to the yard and took video and pictures of what had been done. We fenced off some other area's and did some work on the 19.5 miles of rail we have open. Just a few side notes- The railroad at this time is just about open to the town of Creede. We are waiting for the state to remove rock that they have admitted to dumping on a few area's of the right-of-way. Once the rock is removed and they finish opening the grade crossings, we will almost have the whole line open. We have already been at the city limits of Creede by rail, the yard in Creede is all that is left. As for squatters rights, there are no such things when it comes to Federal Railroad Right-of-Way's (all of this was run through our lawyer from day one).
Monday we came back into Creede and meet with a city board member and a city official and told them what had happened to the fence and advised them of a illegal crossing some people had been using, that would be removed. (This crossing runs through the train yard.) They refused to do anything about it until they receive a request in writing. They expressed their concern about their event center which they stated is used once a year (Which they had been advised to move as per there lease termination agreements.) Don asked if both the city and the railroad could work out a agreement to have their once a year event still in the train yard. They basically refused and went on to another subject. After a while of Don trying to discuss what could be worked out on many items, it seamed they had no means of resolving anything. At this time we left and went down to the Sheriffs' office.
A report was filed on some track which the city clams the railroad removed to use in other areas of the line, but it just so happened to be sitting in the City yard. (Ever see a railroad torch a piece of track just below the bolting point to use in another area????)
After a report was filed we headed down to the railroad yard to repair the damage (after the approval of the Sheriff). We were met by many people expressing there sadness that a small group of people could have done what they did. Most stated the ones opposed are such a small group of people in high places of the city, the true people that want the train go unheard.
We left the town of Creede and got cleaned up to come back to the city board meeting to answer any questions regarding the railroad. The only public that showed up to the meeting was one gentlemen and it was regarding another matter of the city. The board recognized Don just before the executive session was called (Which regarded the railroad). Only one question was asked by the entire board. It regarded why the fence was put up, and Don explained the entire insurance reasons. We then were asked to leave so there executive session could begin.
The events of today (Tues) were with Don meeting with the D/A on the charges and manor the vandals face for the crimes committed.
As for there protest, some of the supporters of the railroad stated only about 20 of the people were locals and the others they had never seen before. Don has always been very open to the people of Creede, but wants to discuss and perform things in a professional manner. Yelling accomplishes nothing. As for him not being a resident, was Bradshaw when he bought the line in Durango. Don is moving to South Fork which has always worked with the railroad on a professional manner.
PLEASE, don't just base a opinion off of something your read or rumors you hear. Do your own research and get both sides. Base it off of facts. Try to remember that, before you write something here that slanders another. I thought were all here for the benefit of railroad and preserving a piece of history, I know I am....
If you would like to find out what were doing on this exciting piece of history visit-
www.wagon-wheel-gap-route.homepage.com or stop by and see us at the 20th Narrow Gauge Convention. I'll be there and would love to meet anyone that would like to discuss this on a professional and courteous manner.
THANKS, Matt Cutter
[www.wagon-wheel-gap-route.homepage.com]
[www.wagon-wheel-gap-route.homepage.com]
Subject Author Posted

Abandon Town, All Ye Who Will Not Be Shanked!

Sam March August 22, 2000 10:22AM

This Land is Your Land, This Land is My Land

Sam March August 22, 2000 10:45AM

Re: This Land is Your Land, This Land is My Land

Fred T August 22, 2000 10:54AM

Leon Ford August 22, 2000 11:19AM

Scott Green August 22, 2000 12:20PM

This Land is My Land, I have the deed to prove it.

Curtis S. Ferrington August 22, 2000 01:48PM

Re: This Land is My Land, I have the deed to prove

Scott Green August 22, 2000 02:34PM

Brian Fritz August 22, 2000 01:26PM

jim August 22, 2000 02:25PM

Sam March August 22, 2000 02:08PM

Shank and United Airlines

Richard "Bo" Boulware August 22, 2000 02:59PM

Re: Dealing with govt.

Michael Allen August 22, 2000 03:40PM

Re: Dealing with govt.

Richard "Bo" Boulware August 22, 2000 04:26PM

LET'S TALK FACT....

Matt Cutter August 22, 2000 07:47PM

Re: LET'S TALK......

Richard "Bo" Boulware August 22, 2000 08:37PM

Re: LET'S TALK......

Matt Cutter August 22, 2000 10:04PM

May I suggest...

Sam March August 22, 2000 09:42PM

May I suggest...

Steve Peck August 23, 2000 08:46AM

Re: May I suggest...

Rick Steele August 26, 2000 09:36PM

Re: LET'S TALK FACT....

Jeremy August 23, 2000 09:58AM

Matt Cutter August 23, 2000 10:02AM

Al Chione August 23, 2000 10:06AM

Richard "Bo" Boulware August 23, 2000 10:08AM

Let's Talk like Civilized humans

Rick Steele August 28, 2000 07:19AM

Amen! *NM*

Grant Houston August 28, 2000 05:11PM

Re: Amen!

C. H. Irvin August 30, 2000 10:12AM

Don Shank August 25, 2000 12:26PM

First Law of Tourist Train Development *PIC*

Sam March August 25, 2000 05:23PM

Al, what have you done today?

Richard Cutter August 26, 2000 03:20PM

Re: Al, what have you done today?

Richard Boulware August 26, 2000 04:37PM

Re: Al, what have you done today?

Al Chione August 26, 2000 10:54PM

Time for Mediation On the NG Forum...

Matt Cutter August 27, 2000 09:30AM

A comment on this thread

Don Richter August 29, 2000 11:21AM

Creede is Wrong (my opinion)

Roger Hogan August 23, 2000 12:34PM

Charles Barnett August 23, 2000 03:49PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.