Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to win FRIENDS and influence people..

August 17, 2000 10:45AM
Here's an idea I'm surprised hasn't been discussed yet on this forum... From all accounts, the Friends are doing a fine job of running the C&TS. It will take some time to smooth everything out and get comfortable, but here's an idea for expanding revenue, which other organizations are already using:
Think a minute of what you would like to do most when visiting the railroad.. I'll bet 99-percent would say "run the engine". The desire to emulate the lordly locomotive engineer is the REAL reason most people take all those photographs, build models and want to be near the railroad. Other museums and tourist lines have realized this and make good income from giving people hands-on experience with locomotives, under close supervision.
If the C&TS had enough operable locomotives and manpower and did this, I'll bet the program would be booked up two years in advance, 12 months a year. While novices would not be appropriate on Cumbres, firing, hostling and perhaps some light switching in the Chama yard would be ok. At the Antonito end, participants might run as far out as Lava, turning on the loop there and returning. Beginning with a light engine, one might graduate to a freight car or two, with mom and the (grand?) kids in the caboose. Is there anyone who wouldn't enjoy this experience, even for just an hour or two?
And what better way to encourage Friends to attend work sessions than the promise of an hour or two at the throttle as reward for their labor? This could be scheduled during the work sessions or at a later time. Need funding from politicians? Bring them down (up), put them in cap and overalls, and get their hands on the scoop and brake valve. If the citizens of Colorado and New Mexico knew they could get their paws on this railroad they own, they might be more supportive. One blurb on the CBS Sunday Morning program would probably bring more business than could be handled. The railroad could employ a part-time videographer to make vanity tapes of participants fulfilling their lifelong dream.
Repeat business might come with varied experiences for the die-hards. There should soon be three classes of operable locomotives, plus a diesel. If the 169 comes on board for a stay, there's another. A Galloping Goose and motorcar would offer more yet, with prices graduated to fit the expense involved. Railroading in winter is altogether different too. Firebuilding, coaling up, taking water, dumping ashes, and so on.
The only down side might be that some full-time C&TS employees might feel threatened with so many "eager beavers" around who would like their jobs. If that were the case, they could organize and protect their seniority rights, like all good railroaders should.
These are just my thoughts. Unfortunately, I can't participate for several years, since a no-damn-good RAILroad company from TEXas (which will remain unnamed) bought our line, busted our unions and made us start over elsewhere, but I'm there in spirit anyway. Any comments?
Subject Author Posted

How to win FRIENDS and influence people..

Bob Yarger August 17, 2000 10:45AM

Already suggested

Greg Scholl August 17, 2000 02:50PM

How to win FRIENDS but risk losing money

B Shoup August 17, 2000 05:56PM

Re: How to win FRIENDS but risk losing money

Bob Yarger August 17, 2000 06:36PM

Tom Henry August 18, 2000 07:52AM

Brian Fritz August 18, 2000 02:24PM

Tom Henry August 18, 2000 02:40PM

The CRRM used to do this

Mike Trent August 18, 2000 07:52AM

Re: The CRRM used to do this

rdmstr August 18, 2000 08:42PM

George Gaskill August 18, 2000 05:40PM

B Shoup August 18, 2000 06:54PM

Proposal for good profit $$$(long)

Greg Scholl August 18, 2000 08:36PM

Money talks

John Vandenberg August 18, 2000 11:46PM

Maybe

Greg Scholl August 19, 2000 08:02AM

a few more zeros

John Vandenberg August 20, 2000 08:59PM

Friends, Influences and Fines

Rick Steele August 20, 2000 08:07AM

Re: Rick's right folks!

Michael Allen August 20, 2000 11:39PM

Too bad!

Greg Scholl August 21, 2000 06:30AM

Re: Rick's right folks!

Mike Mahoney August 22, 2000 03:44PM

Re: Friends, Influences and Fines

Roger Mitchell August 21, 2000 01:52PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.