Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re:

August 26, 2004 12:41PM
Throwing out the GLR Inc. we all know is the wrong thing to do...as I said before the CHS is blind in realizing that if it wasn't for the Ashbys there would be no Georgetown Loop railroad.
However, here comes the operation vs stuffed-and-mounted can of works again. My first wonder was, since these locomotives are indeed so historic, shouldn't they be indoors instead of being outside where (at least #71) as had parts prompty stolen from it? The #9 was an absolute mess even before it was taken apart at Uhrichs...the #60 and #71 are kept up by their respectable owners, but there's only so much you can do in a park. Snow? Bad mountain weather? The Virginia & Truckee "Inyo" is a priceless artifact of Nevada history, and it was restored and operates. Given of course it is not in a daily operation (rather a few weekends a year), but it is also more than 20 years older then #71. The #71 operated in 1989 in Central City, but this further supports the theory as how much damage it took on there. Add the grades, daily service, and it ain't pretty. Should the #9, #60, #71, etc be used in daily service? They could be...but look at 1) the crowds on the loop, 2) the trackage, 3)there's not even a half dozen of these locomotives in existence.
Restoring a locomotive to operation doesn't destroy it...operating it in daily service on steep grades, curves, etc (or leaving it in a park to get vandalized) with an operator who can't take care of it does. (doesn't that sound like the "guns don't kill people" rant?). Oh of course its not just like you can just restore a locomotive...the CHS is completely oblivious to the whole situation. I don't know the story, but when you have somebody run a railroad for you, that is usually a sign they don't know too much about the industry. What I mean is...you can't restore a locomotive in a weekend (Cass restored Feather River #3 in three months...decent time, but that was a fast one). It takes time, years (especially if it was in derelect condition when you started). Most importantly, it takes big $$$, and a very skilled crew. Apparently CHS says they had the $, so they sent it to Uhrichs. As a post showed, the Uhrichs said "a couple of years" for the #9.
Glad to see that the GLR Inc. offered once again to negociate, and if the CHS knew what they were doing they'd drop this all and do what's right. But the CHS better make up their mind. However...we all know that the CHS is not Mahatma Gandhi when trying to make peace. What are the current backup plans for GLR Inc. for their equipment? I've seen various quotes saying an ex-D&RGW line in Aspen, a third rail in Royal Gorge, "another operation in California or Colorado", or store the equipment at the CRRM in Golden. They built a roundhouse there not too long ago, enough space for the 12, 14, and 40 until they can find a new home?
I have nightmares of the CHS trying to get the Breckenridge IRCA 2-8-0 and the Kahului #12 and running those across the bridge with their caboose and a flatcar with hay bales on it...
Best wishes to all in this situation (...except CHS of course).
Keep Steaming,
Ed Kelley
Subject Author Posted

CHS-Steam on the Loop-Like that's gonna happen

Karell Reader August 26, 2004 07:06AM

Re: CHS-Steam on the Loop-Like that's gonna happen

Kerry Ann August 26, 2004 09:32AM

Deja Vu

Chile John August 26, 2004 11:51AM

$5million vs $0

Scott Hightower August 26, 2004 12:00PM

Re:

Ed Kelley August 26, 2004 12:41PM

Re: $5million vs $0

Wooly August 26, 2004 12:47PM

Re: $5million vs $0

John August 26, 2004 04:39PM

Re: GLR historic engines

Skip Luke August 26, 2004 08:12PM

John August 26, 2004 08:38PM

Skip Luke August 26, 2004 08:45PM

Skip Luke August 26, 2004 11:35PM

Re: Ken Salazar

Dave Bates August 26, 2004 10:04AM

John Craft August 26, 2004 10:22AM

Attorney Generals

Dave Bates August 26, 2004 12:55PM

Karell Reader August 26, 2004 03:49PM

Skip Luke August 26, 2004 08:42PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.