Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auto Woes - a Hindrance or a Stroke of Luck

January 17, 2021 10:08PM
Like with John West's experiences, car problems can be a major hindrance or they can be a stroke of luck leading to a great and unexpected happening.

The below car problem on June 12, 1964, at the Conejos River bridge, turned into a major hindrance to chasing 473 and the Alamosa - Durango passenger equipment deadhead

ra2126 (4).jpg

As 473 approached at full speed, the right rear tire of my 1949 Mercury was quietly going flat

ra2127 (4).jpg

ra2128 (2).jpg

This ended that chase. Heading over the Cumbres Pass dirt road without a spare tire was not viable option and there was no way to get that tire repaired quickly enough to catch up

Almost exactly a year later - at almost exactly the same place - we had another car problem with exactly the opposite outcome. This time it was a broken pushrod that suddenly started making
worrysome pinging noises while we were chasing 478 with the annual Illini Special near Antonito, on June 8, 1965. The unexpected GREAT outcome was my only ever ride from Durango to Farmington and back.

Two friends and I were making a short trip to Yellowstone in my newly acquired VW beetle before I had to report for my summer job with Mobil Oil in Hobbs, New Mexico. On the way we encountered the Illini excursion in Alamosa and decided to give it a quick chase to Antonito. Near Antonito those pinging noises started suddenly, and we decided to get them checked out at the closest VW dealership, which happened to be in Durango. The dealer wouldn't give us an appointment until late morning on the following day, so we spent the night in Durango. In the morning my friend Leo volunteered to get the car problem resolved while I rode the Illini excursion to Farmington. What a lucky stroke - this turned out to be my only chance ever to ride the Farmington branch - and I owe it all to that 75 cent push rod, and of course to Leo for taking on the car fix. BTW, the broken push rod didn't get replaced until Hobbs. The Durango mechanic simply tightened up that valve, and it temporarily quieted down. In view of the two day delay, we ended up doing things in Colorado instead of pushing on to Yellowstone. Still another excellent adventure.
Subject Author Posted

Narrow Gauge Adventures in Winter - 1964 (4 of 4) Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen January 16, 2021 10:19PM

Generator Failure Attachments

John West January 16, 2021 11:36PM

Re: Generator Failure

Greg Scholl January 17, 2021 08:25AM

More auto woes Attachments

John West January 17, 2021 10:40AM

Auto Woes - a Hindrance or a Stroke of Luck Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen January 17, 2021 10:08PM

Re: Generator Failure

tripplej93 January 17, 2021 11:00AM

Re: Chasing - and pacing - adventures . . . smileys with beer

Russo Loco January 17, 2021 07:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login