Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More auto woes

January 17, 2021 10:40AM avatar
I suppose my most frustrating car problem was in October 1962. I was in the Navy and my ship was preparing for a long deployment to WestPac, and I unexpectedly had a last minute chance for some leave. So I drove my VW to ng. country all by myself. The weather was beautiful, there was still some fall color, and trains were running. I got some nice pix from Durango to Chama.

DRGWdur1962yard1000.jpg

Switching at Durango.

DRGWcarbjctxhiway1000.jpg

Climbing out of Carbon Junction.

DRGWreloctwoengjunction1000.jpg

The east end of the relocation before the old track was removed.

The next morning in Chama I headed up the hill chasing the first hill turn. Somewhere around Lobato I started to smell something burning. It smelled like insulation. I pulled off the road and turned the ignition off. The smell got worse. I could feel the hot wiring. I finally disconnected the battery and it cooled down. After letting it cool down I carefully restarted the car and basically coasted back to Chama. Much less no VW dealer, that was long enough ago that there were not many "foreign" cars in Chama. Or parts for them. But like small towns everywhere the local mechanic was a whiz at "making do". He quickly diagnosed the problem as a short in the ignition key assembly, and found a replacement that sorta fit and worked fine. But I was kinda freaked out and being by myself decided taking my ailing vehicle into the wilderness of Cumbres was not a great idea. So I headed back to Long Beach and Navy life.

JBWX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2021 10:55AM by John West.
Subject Author Posted

Narrow Gauge Adventures in Winter - 1964 (4 of 4) Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen January 16, 2021 10:19PM

Generator Failure Attachments

John West January 16, 2021 11:36PM

Re: Generator Failure

Greg Scholl January 17, 2021 08:25AM

More auto woes Attachments

John West January 17, 2021 10:40AM

Auto Woes - a Hindrance or a Stroke of Luck Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen January 17, 2021 10:08PM

Re: Generator Failure

tripplej93 January 17, 2021 11:00AM

Re: Chasing - and pacing - adventures . . . smileys with beer

Russo Loco January 17, 2021 07:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login