Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Uintah Ry Engine #6 in 1912 quest-solved

December 09, 2002 10:32PM
Thanks. I found the information that you provided about the Barber companies holding interesting,and definetly fill in a "hole" in my limited research of the parent company o fthe Uintah. I'm sure glad you were able to get to the bottom of the SG switcher question, eliminates a possibility for an extra engine. On the above post your last paragraph said June 30, 1912 - you meant 1911, right?
1912 they would have definetly had 10 engines 1,2,3,4,5 ( all Shays) 10, 11 20,21,30 (all Baldwins). Were still down at least one possible two "mystery" engines for June of 1911 though , as you pointed out earlier - no #30 untill September, and probably no "1st #11" included in the list. So my count is 9 engines for that date?
Benders book, says that the 1st #11 was "retired when the 2nd #11 arrived on the scene" ( pg.99). I'm not absolutely sure that the Uintah immediately scrapped her - I mean maybe they took here off the roster for use, but between the second #11's arrival in Febuary / March and your June date, could thay have not had it "for sale" or waiting to be disposed of.
Associated with that thought was the fact that at the same exact time period the new rails were being laid from Dragon to Watson & Rainbow. This was an huge task, and probalby one of the busiest time period - traffic wise- that the Uintah would see. Think about it. Not only did every tie, rail, joint, and spike have to hauled over, but every trestle timber, and all of the building material for the houses and buildings in Watson and Rainbow. All of this material came in on the D&RG, hand loaded on to the Uintah cars, and then pulled over Baxter to the "railhead" at Dragon - all the while transporting Gilsonite tonnage from the mine area at Dragon & Country Boy, along with Gilsonite hualed to Dragon via team's. My point to all of this traffic stuff, in regards to the extra engine, would it not be a possibility that the Uintah might have kept the 1st #11 for construction use only, leased another engine from another RR, utilized a narrow gauge engine from the construction company, or a combination of all three of the above senerios. Possible using the 1st #11 &/or another construction company engine on the north side of the pass - rod engines that is. Would have made sense and quickened the pace up a bit as the ONLY engines on the Uintah's roster that were ever seen on the north side of the pass, before the arrival of #30, were the five Shays - and we all know how speedy they are. Anyway, enough theorizing on my part untill more evidence is found - someday.
Also, about the SG 2-8-2 in your post that went the Venezuala. Any chance that it was narrow gauge #40, as it was a 2-8-2 built the same year #20, and sent to Venezuala?
Can't wait to see your roster stuff for the later years......
Subject Author Posted

Rainbow & Rainbow Jct. Uintah Ry

Rodger Polley December 08, 2002 09:16PM

PRSL December 08, 2002 11:56PM

Rodger Polley December 09, 2002 10:32PM

PRSL December 10, 2002 08:09AM

Needles in the haystack

Rodger Polley December 10, 2002 10:26AM

CSRM Library and ORER

Brian Norden December 10, 2002 08:30PM

Re: CSRM Library and ORER

Rodger Polley December 10, 2002 11:00PM

Re: CSRM Library and ORER

PRSL December 11, 2002 06:59AM

URy engine #40

Rodger Polley December 13, 2002 11:04AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.