Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Political Correctness and NGDF

December 20, 2008 12:40AM avatar
When I was a teenager, having been first exposed to the D&RGW narrow gauge when my parents bought tickets to Silverton in the Summer of 1970, the only sources of information I could find were rather large and expensive pictorial books. Personal Computers and the Internet were still more than 15 years in the future. Although I treasured and still have those books today (a bit worn out though), they did not give much of a feel for the day to day operation of the railroads. One day while browsing through the K-State library, I found a wonderful book of tales written by Gilbert Lathrop. Although I have since learned that he may have taken certain liberties in his publishing, it was an intro to the personal side of railroading and operating locomotives. Still, information was hard to come by, and I had no personal contacts involved with railroading to tap.

I was around when the NGDF and it's predecessors came online. Visiting this site became a daily habit that I have never abandoned. I have been to this site more times than any other place on the internet. I look forward to learning something new every day.

People of vastly differing backgrounds and temperaments have posted on this board over the years. I have watched, with great dismay, many knowledgeable people depart over the years. It is amazing how passionate people become over this Grande obsession (pun intended, my apologies to equally passionate non-Grande NG fans).

It seems that when people post on discussion groups such a this one often forget their manners, even to the point of becoming extremely rude. I strongly believe that many (but not all) of these discussions would be more civil if they were held face to face. Posters often behave differently when they can hide behind some moniker on the internet.

A case in point for me is Jerry Day, if Jerry does not mind my discussing it. Jerry is an amazing source of information, and I am sad that he does not post here anymore. I do not know him personally, but if you read his posts he is someone who is passionate about authenticity. He has expressed this many times on this board. He is one who has witnessed operations prior to the "tourist age" of the narrow gauge. I tend to lean toward his direction of thinking, as long as it is practical. History bleeds away every day, often never to be recovered. If all we want is to provide a "pretty train ride", then why don't we make it easy on ourselves, sideline the steam, and put a fake shell over a diesel. I want, in as much as it is possible, the true feel, smell, and colors of railroading. I have never understood the attacks, which get unnecessarily person, on Jerry and people like him. Even if you don't agree with a person, is it really necessary to get ugly??? He is a historian, not just some casual railfan who just wants a pretty train ride.

I think we need to concentrate on what we have in common. If you disagree with someone, go ahead and voice it, but don't be insulting or belittling. A little politeness and humility makes the difference between a productive discussion and a bru-ha-ha.

Just my Opinion
Scott Green
Subject Author Posted

Political Correctness and NGDF

GeorgeGaskill December 19, 2008 11:55AM

jalbers December 19, 2008 12:06PM

Bill M. December 19, 2008 05:50PM

K-27 Afficianado December 19, 2008 07:03PM

Festus December 20, 2008 12:40AM

K-27 Afficianado December 20, 2008 01:06AM

John Cole December 20, 2008 08:07AM

Here's Why....

Mike Trent December 20, 2008 09:18AM

Re: Here's Why....

John West December 20, 2008 11:07AM

Russo Loco December 21, 2008 10:02PM

Steve Singer December 20, 2008 11:09AM

Mik December 21, 2008 08:08PM

Skip December 20, 2008 04:14PM

Rick Steele December 21, 2008 07:31AM

John Cole December 21, 2008 08:45AM

Rick Steele December 21, 2008 08:58AM

Mik December 21, 2008 08:30PM

geode December 21, 2008 09:06PM

Ed "Oilcan" Kelley December 22, 2008 07:26PM

Skip December 23, 2008 01:46PM

GeorgeGaskill December 22, 2008 03:00PM

geode December 23, 2008 01:59PM

GeorgeGaskill December 24, 2008 12:14PM

Andrew Brandon December 22, 2008 04:33PM

Rick Steele December 24, 2008 07:52AM

GeorgeGaskill December 24, 2008 12:49PM

Ron Keagle December 25, 2008 10:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login