Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: restoration motivation ... 2472 & 3751 (NNG)

November 21, 2007 03:19PM avatar
Chris Webster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I've heard that a restoration is probably more
> likely to succeed if there are lots of retired
> guys working on it. I'm told that it is not that
> you end up with more free time when you're
> retired; rather, when you're retired, your spouse
> supports your involvement in projects since
> working on those projects keeps you out of the
> spouse's hair!

It ain't necessarily so ...

Red Bartoli of the GGRM, who passed away earlier this year at 90+, had frequent arguments with his wife over the "excessive" time he spent working on #2472. According to the stories I've heard, she resented every minute that he spent on the project.

Red was an extremely talented welder, pipefitter and metalworker. He not only oversaw the complex bending of the replacement feedwater piping, he fashioned the brass stars which occasionally grace the valve- and cylinder-covers of #2472, replica oilcans and lanterns, etc., and many other beautifully crafted brass and copper items for the GGRM. Early in his career at S.P.'s Bayshore roundhouse, it was Red who developed the breadbox-shaped blowdown mufflers which eventually became standard equipment on nearly all S.P. steam locomotives.

blowdown.jpg

The few projects with which I've been involved generally started with a small number of railfans dedicated to the dream of restoring a favorite locomotive to service, most often one relatively close to home. Presuming that the initial evaluation of its availability and condition were favorable, and that at least some of the group had basic mechanical skills, they would then begin working on the engine. The resultant publicity would eventually bring additional help - often including highly knowledgable retired railroaders - and the team would gradually grow and gain in professionalism. Sometimes egos or agendas would clash and the project falter for a while, but things eventually worked themselves out.

It definitely helps to be located in a somewhat populous area where the number of potential participants is greater, or to be working on a locomotive or railroad that is well enough known to the outside world - like the C&TS, NN, SVRy and WW&F - that volunteers are willing to travel a fair distance to help. (In the early eighties I drove over 100 miles each way from Ventura to San Bernardino, at least twice a month, to work on 3751, and later drove 400 miles two or three times a year to add my two cents to Project 2472.) Depending on the nature of the project, it may be necessary to raise funds to have some of the work done professionally - especially if extensive boiler work is required. IIRC, both the 2472 and 3751 groups hired Al Phillips to rebuild their superheater units; Al has probably worked on at least half the the large, modern steam engines running today.

As time and nature take their toll, there are fewer and fewer artifacts still intact enough to warrant restoration to operation (as opposed to static preservation), and - sadly - fewer and fewer retired railroaders with the skills and knowledge to ensure that the job is done right - and the equipment operated correctly and safely after it has been restored. But dedication, enthusiasm and patience - and a willingness to learn - can overcome most obstacles.

- El Curmudgeono Viejo y Loco

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 04:12PM by Russo Loco.
Subject Author Posted

315 restoration motivation?

Rick Renz November 20, 2007 10:41AM

Re: 315 restoration motivation?

Chris Webster November 20, 2007 06:29PM

Re: restoration motivation ... 2472 & 3751 (NNG) Attachments

Russo Loco November 21, 2007 03:19PM

dan November 26, 2007 10:52AM

geode November 26, 2007 11:58AM

dan November 26, 2007 01:53PM

Fred Folk November 21, 2007 07:33PM

Rick Renz November 26, 2007 06:54AM

Fred Folk November 26, 2007 09:42AM

Rick Renz November 26, 2007 10:40AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login