Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Night Trains was Re: OK, Tom . . .

July 04, 2001 09:18AM
Hmmmm....
After reading the various accounts of how engine crews feel about their experiences over the Toltect Gorge Route at night (in this thread and in the "NG bug bite" thread), it's clear that I'm on the right track (an unintentional pun). If nothing else, it seems like it'd make a great company picnic trip/reward trip for all the local folk involved in the area -- the staff, Forest Service, Sheriff's office, Fire Departments, state legislators, county commissioner's, etc. Take 'em all on one big reward trip, feed 'em at Osier (sorry Sublette, not this time) and run on through to Antonito.
As far as the actual scenery, I've been up Sublette, Big Horn, and the wilderness area south of Osier with a backpack -- the views and moonlight are great.
What I haven't seen are the headlamp glow on the tank at Lava, the glowing eyes of startled Mule Deer, the moon-shadows cast across the tracks east of Sublette, the dotted gleam of light reflected from those ever-kinked rail joints near Mud Tunnel, and the rainbow halos cast by moonlight reflected off the steam expelled by a hardworking 90 year old locomotive.
The more I think about it, the more it seems like this is why the C&TS needs five or six working locos. Having a fifth to use on charters or scheduled night trips seems like it would make a big difference from a profit standpoint.
With five, you could keep a second unit in Antonito pretty much full time as a rescue engine or charter loco. Then we'd get to listen to customer reports on late night trips, instead of those blissful private moments of engine crews and rescue efforts.
Tom
P.S. $50K is way out of line... i'd think from Mr. Markoff's poetic comments, the crew would work for free, maybe even pay me for the thought. And, to be honest I'd go through a fireman training course and shovel coal for free just to get the chance to speak with "experience" on what a glorious night run through the Gorge is.
Subject Author Posted

Box car coaches

Tony Kassin July 02, 2001 08:16PM

Re: Box car coaches

Herb Kelsey July 02, 2001 08:44PM

Night runs from Antonito, was Re: Box car coaches

Tom Stewart July 03, 2001 08:01AM

Re: Night runs from Antonito

John Craft July 03, 2001 09:42AM

Tom Stewart July 03, 2001 10:17AM

tim olson July 03, 2001 01:44PM

Tom Stewart July 03, 2001 02:12PM

Crayuft July 03, 2001 03:06PM

Tom Stewart July 03, 2001 03:34PM

DvV July 03, 2001 08:05PM

Jim Herron July 03, 2001 08:33PM

Re: Night runs from Antonito, was Re: Box car coac

Herb Kelsey July 03, 2001 05:21PM

Re: Night runs in Eureka

Dan Markoff July 03, 2001 11:13PM

OK, Tom . . .

Crayuft July 04, 2001 04:54AM

Night Trains was Re: OK, Tom . . .

Tom Stewart July 04, 2001 09:18AM

A rememberance or two

John Bush July 04, 2001 06:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.