Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Georgetown Loop Lease Option

September 07, 2007 06:20PM
Just to clear up any misinformation, I spoke directly to Mr. Ed Nichols (president) at the Colorado Historical Society and again offered both our equipment (lease) and personnel to help save what was left of the 2007 season. After speaking with Phil Johnson, we figured that we could get all equipment and personnel in place over a two week time period. I made it clear that the only way in which a lease would be feasible, would be by having our, experienced staff in charge of operating our equipment. Under no circumstance would we allow anyone but Georgetown Loop Railroad, Inc. staff near the equipment. Mr. Nichols refused the offer due to the current contractual obligation with Railstar. The CHS is only interested in leasing equipment only and wish to run it themselves. Under no circumstance would we ever let them touch our equipment. When asked if the Colorado Historical Society ever wished to see trains operate as they had up until we left, he wouldn’t answer the question. The passion to run a successful steam operation seems to be gone.
It sickens me to see what our company helped build, destroyed over 3-short years. The inconsistent operations of the new Georgetown Loop have the potential to have a negative impact on all of us in the scenic rail industry. The most important lesson to learn is that of what happens when a governmental organization tries to do what a successful private, for profit company did successfully for 32-years. All we wanted was another long-term lease and people who understood the value of a talented Colorado Company.
I was hoping that under new leadership, the mission of the Colorado Historical Society would change course. It has not. Make no mistake, if the CHS chose to lease our equipment with our crews running the show, guests could once again be able to count on a dependable schedule and Georgetown merchants would see more travelers in their stores.
To see monies from the State Historic Fund wasted on this project is infuriating. This money could be much better spent on other projects. Many dollars have been wasted here.

Mark
Subject Author Posted

Georgetown Loop Lease Option

MarkG September 07, 2007 06:20PM

Re: Georgetown Loop Lease Option

Roger Hogan September 07, 2007 06:48PM

MarkG September 07, 2007 08:47PM

michael September 07, 2007 10:18PM

Chris Webster September 08, 2007 11:57AM

Roger Hogan September 08, 2007 12:26PM

Another approach

Roger Hogan September 08, 2007 03:37PM

Robert Herronen September 08, 2007 05:32PM

locoboilerguy September 09, 2007 09:35AM

KAM September 09, 2007 11:38AM

A Possible Explanation: Being the Devil's Advocate

Steve Stockham September 09, 2007 08:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login