Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C&TS parlor cars

August 20, 2007 09:32AM avatar
Hello Rod,

I'm not as involved with the Friends project planning having taken a new job and spending a lot of time in far away places. I'm not sure the plan is entirely written down as because of some unfortunate circumstances, things have been changing. Basically 053 is pilot project and is progressing in the Antonito CRF. I haven't heard any updates to the overall plan since the property was acquired in Chama, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the the follow on passenger car work was dependent on that facility coming online.

I can remember very clearly when the 1st car (remains) were acquired many years ago, John Bush told us to the effect: "rebuilding a passenger car will be a bit more difficult than painting box cars". As I found last week, things that were relatively simple on 0579, are an order of magnitude more difficult on 053.

My own opinion (and may or may not be shared with others) is that these projects will need us to be more creative in how do the work; as you suggest it's going to take more than the current program to get the work done before anytime in the next 20 years. Hiring a full-time restoration expert may be one alternative, but that will obviously require a good source of funding.
Subject Author Posted

C&TS parlor cars Attachments

rod August 18, 2007 06:10PM

drgw0579 August 18, 2007 07:53PM

rod August 19, 2007 09:15PM

drgw0579 August 20, 2007 09:32AM

michael August 18, 2007 08:43PM

michael August 19, 2007 09:24PM

rod August 19, 2007 09:36PM

geode August 20, 2007 12:52AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login