Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C&TS parlor cars

August 20, 2007 12:52AM
Rod,

As much as I would like to SEE the San Juan rebuilt and running, I just don't think there is enough people willing to pay the price. The biggest problem is the wooden cars and the Spirialing maintenance costs of keeping them available on the rails. That was outdated by the late fifties/early sixties man-hour costs. and certainly outrageous today. And besides, who is interested in historical authenticity, sure I'd like to ride in the authentic parlor car and play a few hands of draw poker with any sucker willing to play. How many days out of seven would I be the only paying customer because that is the experience I'm willing to pay for? No I think the good old D&RGW had the right idea in the sixties to build steel replicas of the old wooden coaches that so caught the tourists eye and pocketbook. After all they would not notice nor care that these were not original authentic cars, even though you and I do notice Rod. I thinks the family guy is the target market, not railfan me. Railfan me and 60 K others won't keep it running because the experience for us is not the riding but getting the shots only found from outside the train. Staying overnight a few days and eating at the local eateries, and drinking a few local beers.
In other words doing our best to support the local structure that keeps the trains running!
Subject Author Posted

C&TS parlor cars Attachments

rod August 18, 2007 06:10PM

drgw0579 August 18, 2007 07:53PM

rod August 19, 2007 09:15PM

drgw0579 August 20, 2007 09:32AM

michael August 18, 2007 08:43PM

michael August 19, 2007 09:24PM

rod August 19, 2007 09:36PM

geode August 20, 2007 12:52AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login