Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Silverton Trails

August 12, 2007 07:05AM
Mike B,
was just up there a couple days ago and although I had been there brefore its been a couple years so we decided to go and walk part of the road bed(well we even drove a lot of it) to check on the condition of the Silverton Railroad Corkscrew Gulch Turntable. Its really a cool hike, very easy nothing strenous plus a lot of the ties are still in place. I will say this, wear good waterproof shoes or rubber boots cause some of the road bed is soggy due to small streams. We took the road second dirt one on the right from Red Mountain pass(on the right coming from Silverton) and basically followed the grade. It gets a little tricky on figuring out which way to go after the Yankee Girl headframe(which looks good after some recent new wood stabilazation) but its not to hard to figure out. I will say this too, U may need four wheel drive not for the road but for the clearance, there are some deep muddy holes back in there, I would say a car could get back there but could also get stuck before parking at the end of the road to hike out to the turntable, which would mean walking furthur! Please, please! do not take a dirt bike or four wheeler on the road bed!! It will help preserve it!!
If U need any aditional help ask, hopefully my brother will chime in and give a little more detail. Also a portion of the Silverton Northern is accessable to cars(very well maintained road!) just north of Silverton thats very easy to find. Its fun to drive pretending your a locomotive or recreating the old B&W's in the books of the area. Hope you find something to look at for only one day(not enough time!) but I can understand time contraints!
Hope ya have fun.
Steve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2007 07:11AM by Steve Dickey.
Subject Author Posted

Silverton Trails

Mike B August 11, 2007 01:46PM

Steve Dickey August 12, 2007 07:05AM

Steve Dickey August 12, 2007 07:08AM

hogger42 August 12, 2007 07:33AM

Steve Dickey August 12, 2007 10:55AM

Mike B August 12, 2007 12:20PM

Steve Dickey August 12, 2007 05:39PM

ROW Explorer August 12, 2007 10:48PM

ROW Explorer August 12, 2007 10:59PM

Mike B August 13, 2007 07:49PM

John Wilke August 15, 2007 11:40AM

Mike B August 16, 2007 08:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login