Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Narrow Gauge Truck Size

August 04, 2007 02:32PM
I have often wondered why the seemingly arbitrary wheelbase of of narrow gauge trucks.

I can imagine that the longer the wheelbase, the more stable the ride, i.e. passenger trucks.

The shorter the wheelbase, the better able the car is to deal with sharp curves, i.e. the 3'7" archbar trucks found under so many of the Rio Grande's freight cars.

Why 3'7"? Why do the longer freight cars have longer wheelbase freight trucks? More stability needed for the longer underframe?

Was there a rhyme or reason for the selection of the length of the trucks? I can understand the upgrade to Andrews or Bettendorfs with the introduction of steel underframes. I can also understand the retention of archbar trucks for the majority of the rolling stock fleet, given the desire to be rid of the narrow gauge and the cost that would be involved with upgrading the trucks of the wooden rolling stock fleet.

Why did other narrow gauge railroads use different wheelbase lengths for their trucks than the Rio Grande when these narrow gauge railroads had essentially the same length, or less, of rolling stock.

Finally, was it possible to mismatch the truck types and wheelbase lengths? I would imagine that modifications to the brake rigging would be necessary, but hardly beyound the capability of the mechanics who maintained the equipment.
Subject Author Posted

Narrow Gauge Truck Size

Kevin S. August 04, 2007 02:32PM

Re: Narrow Gauge Truck Size

The Josh August 05, 2007 12:45AM

BillD August 05, 2007 09:09AM

Ron Keagle August 05, 2007 09:41AM

Rick Steele August 05, 2007 10:31AM

Ron Keagle August 06, 2007 12:09PM

davegrandt August 06, 2007 03:01PM

BillD August 06, 2007 06:34PM

Randy Hees August 07, 2007 11:54AM

Brian Norden August 08, 2007 09:08PM

davegrandt August 09, 2007 08:21AM

Paul Dalleska August 09, 2007 02:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login