Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: D&RGW Station Sign Font

May 09, 2007 08:05PM
Matt, I don't think there was a real standard that was tightly adhered to as time went by. Many signs seem to have a style that is almost their own. Clearly, there were guidelines, and probably even some stencils that were issued to the B&B crews for such use. Your provided sample is pretty close as to style, but they would probably look better in "bold".
They were handpainted many times over the years, and each time, some of the letters may have assumed some unique characteristics. Take Durango, for example.
Four years ago this summer, I wanted to put station signs on my O Scale Durango Depot. When I was there in June of 2003, I stood at trackside and took a photograph of the station sign above the bay window, illuminated brightly by the afternoon sun. I had the prints made 4X6, and when I got them back, I was delighted to find that the scale of the print was almost exactly 1/4". I took the print down and photocopied it four times, and then laminated the copys onto a styrene backing. Added some black trim, and they are perfect reproductions of the original. (yeah, yeah, I know the mileage to Denver is missing, but Durango's elevation is there...) If you look for an identical font style to the Durango signs, I'll be really surprised if you can fine one.
Good luck. If you can find suitable artwork, you should be able to adjust the size fairly easily.
Subject Author Posted

D&RGW Station Sign Font *LINK*

Matt May 09, 2007 06:35PM

Mike Trent May 09, 2007 08:05PM

Kevin Strong May 10, 2007 12:28AM

Western Union Sign *PIC*

Tim May 10, 2007 07:14AM

Re: D&RGW Station Sign Font *LINK*

Rod Jensen May 10, 2007 11:25AM

Ron Welch May 11, 2007 08:15AM

D&RGW Mears Jct Station Sign *NM* *PIC*

Ron Welch May 11, 2007 08:27AM

Re: D&RGW Mears Jct Station Sign

Tim May 11, 2007 08:39AM

Matt May 11, 2007 11:01AM

Re: D&RGW Station Sign Font *LINK* *PIC*

Matt May 11, 2007 10:05PM

Re: D&RGW Station Sign Font *PIC*

Rod Jensen May 12, 2007 09:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login