Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Craft in Chama

February 18, 2007 10:23AM
Sure was nice to see John Craft and his charming wife Dana back in Chama after the D&S photo special, and to reminisce with them and with Kim Smith about the many successful marketing and service innovations that John introduced to the C&TSRR back in 2000 and 2001, and that Kim implemented and added to over the ensuing years in her role as marketing manager and subsequently as general manager of RGRPC.
I don't know how many railfans are aware that it was JAC's marketing ideas and programs that were instrumental in the railroad being able to attract over 50,000 riders in 2000 and over 55,000 in 2001, despite the 9/11 tragedy. The marketing strategy he spelled out back then still guides the railroad's efforts today: "The product we are selling is NOT a train ride. The product is adventure and entertainment aboard a steam-powered train traveling through beatiful scenery and historic communities. This leads directly to our differentiators – the scenery, the history, and the drama of the locomotives." This quote is from JAC's initial marketing plan, and today's plan is but an updating of the principles in that original plan.
JAC was the one who introduced the very successful parlor car service, which last season had an occupancy rate of 80%. He designed and implemented the season pass program. He modified the running schedules to reduce the lunch lines at Osier. He revised the pricing and sales training so that emphasis was placed on selling the higher-margin, through-trips (with bus return), an effort that continues to pay off to this day.
He was responsible for launching RGRPC's profitable Moonlight dinner train service in 2001, which could again be added to the mix if sufficient equipment is available.
The very well received TV commercials, which are still being used, were created under JAC and Kim's management. JAC even designed and implemented a comprehensive, function-rich reservation managment system at no charge on a volunteer basis.
I regret that there has been so little recognition given to JAC's selfless contributions to the C&TSRR. I hope these few paragraphs can begin to redress this inbalance. Now, with a first-class set of competent Commissioners and a solid operator in CTSMC, perhaps the railroad can begin to realize the promise that those of us with RGRPC envisioned back in 2000 when we first began to dig out from under the accumulated years of under-maintained assets and the destructive Bartholomew years, but before the shut-downs of 2002 hit. JAC's ideas and programs produced results back in 2000 ans 2001, and they are still contributing to the success of the C&TSRR today. Thanks John.
Subject Author Posted

Craft in Chama

Dick Cowles February 18, 2007 10:23AM

Re: Craft in Chama

Harold T. Ratt February 18, 2007 11:09AM

Re: Craft in Chama

Dick Cowles February 18, 2007 12:07PM

Er, ah, 'scuse me...

Kim L Smith February 20, 2007 01:46PM

Re: Er, ah, 'scuse me...

Will Cheshsire February 23, 2007 12:14PM

Hay Harry!

John Cole February 20, 2007 01:26AM

Re: Craft in Chama the Gotes response

John Frank February 21, 2007 09:30AM

Mik February 21, 2007 01:01PM

Re: Craft in Chama the Gotes response *LINK*

Randall Hess February 21, 2007 03:48PM

Don Richter February 21, 2007 05:33PM

John Bush February 21, 2007 06:16PM

Don Richter February 21, 2007 06:32PM

Don't forget how this started

John West February 21, 2007 07:22PM

Re: Don't forget how this started

Randall Hess February 22, 2007 04:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login