Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Expert needed

September 29, 2006 08:32AM
Stanley,
Not at all! Your comments are taken in the spirit that they were intended! I was the one that called it a "class act" and I truly believe it IS!
As for being objective, I was one of the most vocal opponents to the CHS's handling of the GTL Inc. affair! I still think it was shameful how it was handled but Railstar is not to blame for this!! They are a tourist railroad business that saw an opportunity to operate a very successful railroad and they took it. Can anybody "objectively" say that this was wrong?
If they were able to get the "terms" of the contract changed (I don't know if this is true or not but it has been intimated) to be more commercially friendly toward them then KUDOS TO THEM! That's just good business practice!!
Now, I have continued to visit the Loop and ride the train. I even had the honor and pleasure of riding back up to Silver Plume with Steven Torrico and we shared an interesting and informative conversation. I was impressed and reassured by what I had heard and by what I had seen of the operations!
Railstar's dedication to the Loop is, in my opinion, every bit as sincere as was GTL Inc.'s! Is there going to be "glitches"? Of course!! I was amazed that there weren't more that first year! When money was tight and maintenance was deferred over the winter I knew this was going to cause trouble sooner or later and it did. THIS WAS NOT RAILSTAR'S DECISION. Fortunately, this has been addressed and the lessons have been learned. Again, all this is merely "objective analysis".
The restoration of C&S#9 was done in a very professional manner with NO "rushing to service" that many of us (myself included!) feared. In fact, it was this more than the regular operations that fully convinced me that I can put my reservations aside and "move on"!
Bo is correct in his assesment that we need to quit brooding on past mistakes. In Railstar's case it doesn't make any sense because they weren't here!
One other thing about the unexpected closings, I know the CHS promised a "seamless transition" but everybody knew that you can't go from five working engines down to two with a third a historical engine being "broken in" after complete restoration and not realize that a situation could occur where the engines can't run that day. It was unfortunate but "objectively" looked at, understandable. Again, this shouldn't happen again as lessons are learned and more engines come on line.
Steven expressed his frustrations in a post which some people are taking umbrage at. Perhaps he should have been more circumspect but I think that it actually shows the depths of his (and Railstar's) commitment to the Loop! Taken in this context and put in his place, I doubt I would have been as gracious with my comments!!
Does this mean that I am a "shill" for Railstar? No. What it DOES mean is that I am a railfan that is particularly interested in the Georgetown Loop and it's future. I am willing to take things as they are NOW without all the baggage attached and to look at the operations objectively and what I see is a "Class Act"!! Thank you Steven and everybody that has busted their butts to continue the Georgetown Loop's reputation as one of the premier historical tourist lines in the country!
Subject Author Posted

Expert needed

Meghan Murphy September 22, 2006 11:13AM

Steven Torrico September 22, 2006 03:31PM

Charlie McCandless September 27, 2006 08:53PM

John Bush September 28, 2006 10:05AM

steve torrico September 28, 2006 10:12AM

Ted Krumreich September 28, 2006 12:59PM

steve torrico September 28, 2006 05:49PM

Re: Expert NOT needed.

Richard "Bo" Boulware September 28, 2006 08:06PM

Well said, Bo! *NM*

Ed Stabler September 28, 2006 09:47PM

DITTOS!! *NM*

Steve Stockham September 29, 2006 07:48AM

Ted Krumreich September 28, 2006 08:24PM

Well said, Ted. *NM*

Skip Luke September 30, 2006 04:54PM

Stanley L September 29, 2006 01:51AM

Steve Stockham September 29, 2006 08:32AM

Richard "Bo" Boulware September 29, 2006 11:32AM

Re: Expert needed *PIC*

Chris Webster September 28, 2006 03:08PM

Charlie McCandless September 28, 2006 03:58PM

"steve" = "Steven"?

Jim Poston September 29, 2006 04:51AM

Re: "steve" = "Steven"?

steve torrico September 29, 2006 07:18AM

Ted Krumreich September 29, 2006 07:38AM

I Stand Corrected

Jim Poston September 29, 2006 08:49AM

Dick Zellerbach September 29, 2006 04:59PM

steve torrico September 29, 2006 05:39PM

John Hammond September 29, 2006 08:00PM

steve torrico September 29, 2006 08:06PM

Ron Ruhoff October 01, 2006 07:19PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.