Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Locomotive Steam Characteristics

Kevin Bush
July 18, 2006 11:25AM
This is very true.
We have a gentleman here who thinks by running the blower wide open, dampers wide open, and atomizer a turn and a half, that he has more steam than the other fireman. He turns the blower off when drifting by the way...
I find the best way to fire the Rayonier 110 is to have the dampers open to the second notch (There are four), use the third if you are hurting for steam, otherwise it gets so hot in the cab you can barely stand it. Atomizer at a half turn, and turn it back from there when needed. No blower of course when working, and enough oil to see a slight haze. Sometimes you need to make more smoke, sometimes none at all.
The engineer I usually run with likes to take it up Tin Mill hill (fairly steady 5%) with the bar in the corner and throttle fairly near wide open. Funny thing is, it steams so well, and goes so well, I can't help but think it is the best way to run a mallet. Or this one anyhow. It just walks right up at about 12mph. Does not slip a wheel. Although the first trip at 7:15 he does crack the sanders and leaves them on all the way up the hill.
The way I fire it makes it a little tougher on myself but it's more comfortable and I seem to use less fuel and water. With the dampers at the third or fourth notch, one can fire against the gun. These are two inch Penberthy's we're talking about too. You have to fire the daylights out of that thing to do it. I have done it before when I was behind, and the way this railroad is getting too far behind on water can be risky. When opening the dampers that much a flame shoots out the top of the firedoor and reaches the top of the backhead.
The engineers that run it smoothly and the way it deserves to be operated, make it hard on a fireman at times. When they are slowly bringing the throttle out, and still not making any draft at all, you can sit and watch the pressure drop. Like when starting up tin mill. Jerry will pull the throttle out hard right after the brake test and make a hard run at it. The other guys they will coast all the way up to where the grade starts and slowly pull out the throttle. Well if you had your pressure near 200lbs. and ready to pop, you can count on starting up the hill with 180. If you're lucky. Then you have to sand the hell out of it and wait for your pressure to come up before starting your gun. I usually wait for it to hit 190. With Jerry, who runs the engine hard, you have to turn your gun on before sanding out the flues or else she'll pop and will usually go for a long time. That's if everything is going right though. Sometimes turning your gun on while sanding will drop your pressure. Just depends on how many people are riding, if it's the first trip of the day or not...etc.
This railroad takes an extra amount of planning. Right after sanding the flues and running your injector for a bit, there is about a 200 yard length of track that is 6%. With the mallet it doesn't make much of a difference if you go through there with 175lbs. it still digs in and just goes right through. Although with the prairies you'd better have your steam at the red mark or you might stall.
Shane was talking about firebox proportions. That was a good point. I have had the chance to fire the 7 here quite a few times this summer. It is a 1919 Baldwin 2-6-2. Someone may have a builders photo of it. I have been looking for photos of it when operating in Arkansas. Anyhow, this engine is a soak. It is remarkable how well it runs and steams. This engine is very, very thirsty and likes to smoke a little more. You must turn your injector on at the start of tin mill, and never turn it off for however long it takes to get your water back to where you like it. Most guys are happy going down grade on a 4% with it coming up and out of the glass. Personally I like it at a half a glass. Now that isn't always good with that engine as you can work water on the next hill up to "Oblivion". In which case not only is there a danger of blowing a cylinder head off, but the engine beats so hard it's almost unbearable. Especially if it's on the third trip of the day or something, it just wears you out. The regular crack of the exhaust makes my eyes blink from time to time, like a snare drum does in a small room.
Anyhow, it was a little puzzling to me at first why it steamed so well. My dad and I talked about it a bit and he said it's probably because the proportions of the boiler suit it well.
Subject Author Posted

Locomotive Steam Characteristics

Kevin July 12, 2006 08:04PM

Shane Schabow July 12, 2006 10:58PM

Ed Stabler July 13, 2006 04:56AM

tallow pot July 13, 2006 08:13AM

Jim Adams July 14, 2006 09:11AM

Kevin Bush July 18, 2006 11:25AM

John Bush July 19, 2006 07:17AM

Kevin Bush July 19, 2006 09:18PM

Tom Moungovan July 14, 2006 07:37AM

Chester Louis July 13, 2006 10:14AM

Gavin Hamilton July 13, 2006 03:44PM

Bill Hobbs July 13, 2006 09:48PM

Gavin Hamilton July 14, 2006 03:20PM

My two centavos

El Coke July 14, 2006 03:17PM

Re: My two centavos

Smokey July 17, 2006 06:58PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.