Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My two centavos

July 14, 2006 03:17PM
Kevin, The comments above are very good and accurate. One problem is engines go in and out of being good steamers when they are receive heavy repairs. #484 is my favorite locomotive.It always steamed well for me on both side of the cab. However, I heard back in the day she was a poor steamer for a while. After decades of wear and repair engines indeed aquire their own characteristics. Some engines, however, could never shake a reputaion as a poor steamer.In those cases there is something big wrong with the drafting.
Changing fuels burned by a locomotive can definitely affect steaming, but this can be remedied by modifying the front end baffling. Converting to oil is a big deal, and aside from installing a burner, holes need to be cut into the "petticoat" pipe extension from the stack.
Poor steaming is generally defines as an inability of a boiler to keep boiler pressure and an even water level while working upgrade, as fuel and water are being steadily added to the boiler. Poor draft is a usual suspect. Sometimes just a row of plugged flues can contribute to poor steaming. Sometimes there is a problem in the front end baffling. Even new tires can affect steaming as they bigger circumference slightly lessen the number of exhaust beats, and therefore the draft on the fire.
Poor steaming engines can be dealt with as long as both the enginemen are paying attention. An engineer can really help if he works the cutoff and the throttle till a the consumption is balanced with the boiler's ability to produce steam.
Subject Author Posted

Locomotive Steam Characteristics

Kevin July 12, 2006 08:04PM

Re: Locomotive Steam Characteristics

Shane Schabow July 12, 2006 10:58PM

Ed Stabler July 13, 2006 04:56AM

tallow pot July 13, 2006 08:13AM

Jim Adams July 14, 2006 09:11AM

Kevin Bush July 18, 2006 11:25AM

John Bush July 19, 2006 07:17AM

Kevin Bush July 19, 2006 09:18PM

Tom Moungovan July 14, 2006 07:37AM

Chester Louis July 13, 2006 10:14AM

Gavin Hamilton July 13, 2006 03:44PM

Bill Hobbs July 13, 2006 09:48PM

Gavin Hamilton July 14, 2006 03:20PM

My two centavos

El Coke July 14, 2006 03:17PM

Re: My two centavos

Smokey July 17, 2006 06:58PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.