Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Splitting the Train for Water

Cyphers
November 28, 2005 01:57AM
Earl, you stated that when stopping for water it was common for the train to be broken apart to ease spotting the locomotives.
Was it common in the late-day operations of the Rio Grande? I did not witness Rio Grande train operations as many here on this board did. What I have deduced primarily from film of the later era operations is a scenario like this. Every engineer on a westbound train out of Antonito with a mid-train helper knew that they would be stopping at Sublette for water. Upon arriving at Sublette, the lead engine would stop and take water. Then, I suspect, without any signal or communication exchange, the engineer on the lead locomotive would cut out his brake valve and the engineer on the mid-train helper would cut in his brake valve. Upon completion of the water stop for the lead locomotive, again I suspect, the lead engineer would whistle off and the engineer on the helper would listen for this signal, then both engines would work steam to move the train. As the helper approached the water plug, he would use the automatic brake to stop the entire train, spotting his locomotive correctly for water. Then he would cut out his automatic brake valve and the lead engineer would cut in his automatic brake valve. Again, I suspect this was done with out any signal (whistle or brake pipe reduction) or other communication and was just part of the routine that every engineer learned from his predecessor. Upon completion of the helper's water stop, he would as you said, open his throttle and whistle two long blasts indicating that he was ready to go. The lead engineer would then release his independent brake and open his throttle when he was ready to get the train moving again.
Such an understanding between enginemen would save the time and labor of uncoupling and coupling the train. Additionally, the lead engineer doesn't have to guess where the end of his segment of the train is with respect to clearing the water spout with enough room for the second engine to pull up and take water.
With the above said, I believe the Rio Grande's operating rules specified that when locomotives in a train take water, that the train be cut just ahead of each helper and the sections of the train moved to water the locomotives independently. However, in the remote lands of the narrow gauge, I doubt that few (in management) knew of this practice and as long as the train stayed on the track and nobody got hurt, they didn't care.
Any thoughts? Is this thinking "on track?"
Subject Author Posted

Doubleheading

Bob Hayes November 20, 2005 08:33PM

Re: Doubleheading

M.J. Buckelew November 20, 2005 09:55PM

PRSL November 21, 2005 10:46AM

Erik W November 21, 2005 11:53AM

Re: Doubleheading example

PRSL November 21, 2005 02:00PM

Erik W November 21, 2005 03:09PM

Kevin Cook November 21, 2005 03:11PM

PRSL November 21, 2005 04:10PM

CCM November 21, 2005 05:27PM

G. W. Laepple November 21, 2005 07:11PM

Keith Hayes November 24, 2005 10:42AM

M.J. Buckelew November 24, 2005 12:44PM

earl November 24, 2005 01:15PM

Bob Hayes November 25, 2005 04:31PM

Splitting the Train for Water

Cyphers November 28, 2005 01:57AM

Re: Splitting the Train for Water

earl November 28, 2005 12:37PM

Rick Renz November 28, 2005 01:25PM

Kelly Anderson November 28, 2005 03:25PM

Cyphers November 29, 2005 09:52PM

John Bush November 30, 2005 07:34AM

Dan Robirds November 24, 2005 08:26PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.