Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Where Are They Now?

July 18, 2005 03:55PM
I am the Manager of Railroads at Roaring Camp Railroads. I am responsible for both the narrow gauge "Roaring Camp & Big Trees" and the standard gauge "Santa Cruz Big Trees & Pacific". Both of these railroads are based in Felton CA. I reluctantly left the C&TS in May of 1996 to join the "White Pass & Yukon Route" In Skagway AK as Superintendent of Operations. The reason for my departure from Chama was need to put my two sons into a good school environment so that they could complete middle school and high school. They have now done so and are both attending Universities.
At the time of my departure from Chama I had been named Assistant General Manager in addition to my duties as Chief Mechanical Officer. Joe Vigil was General Manager and Kyle Railways was the operator. I had and have great respect for Joe Vigil and much of our success was the direct result of his willingness to support our attempts to have 6 steam locomotives and 2 diesels in service. The RR commission and Kyle railwasy also had a good working relationship which kept the money flowing when we needed it and gave results of which the commission could be proud. When I left I had no clue that changes within Kyle Railways were about to cause them to decide to end their involvement with the C&TS. The conditions which existed in the Bartholomew era made continued success impossible and mechanical decline inevitible.
I am glad to see that improvements are being made now and that ridership is improving. As to issues like painting the cars red etc it is my firm belief as I have stated for years "you cant save old trains with old thinking".
We still own a house in Chama (on Terrace Ave directly across the street from the water tank). Hopefully if business improves we will be able to rent out the house to someone who wants to live across the street from North America's longest and highest steam powered railroad.
Subject Author Posted

Where Are They Now?

frank kemerer July 17, 2005 06:47PM

earl July 18, 2005 01:48PM

Re: Where Are They Now? from Earl

tom casper July 18, 2005 03:27PM

frank kemerer July 18, 2005 05:04PM

John Bush July 18, 2005 03:55PM

frank kemerer July 18, 2005 05:12PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.