Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Feedwater heaters on the K series

July 14, 2005 06:40PM
Trevor,
Exh steam injectors are very much more complicated than live steam injectors of equal capacity.
There is a question in my recollection that:
1. I don't know how small in GPH these injectors were made. But,
2. I seem to recollect that wasn't one class of WP&Y later 2-8-2's or at least something similar size wise to the larger "K" type engines had exh steam inj in use.
But for what it is worth, I personally don't think they would be worth the money to make and install one. Better to go a feed water heater.
They were generally more dependable albeit more expensive.
Exh steam Inj's while cheaper did like operations where the locomotive could be set up and left alone for longer periods of time (slow climbs up heavy grades or long runs over flat lands).
I believe the UP 3985 has an Elesco ESI on the left side. It works well, but they have had to spend bucks to replace parts. An this I believe is all reverse engineering as very little detail drawings form Elesco Co made it out alive.
Believe the Ohio Central has one on their ex-GTW 4-8-4.
Their desired operation would in part, fit both ex-drgw NG operations. However, they take money to maintain and someone really has to know the injectors, as they could be a pain in the tail feathers to keep in good operation.
Also, they were to be able to be operated in or changed over to a live steam opertion. Just as with a regular injector. But my understanding is they were real steam hogs when in live steam mode.
Now to by fair about it, I have never worked on one other than to remove one and install a live steam injector in its place. So my information comes from old heads (some DRGW people and Canadian). Some roads had very good luck with them. But good maintenance and spares were the key.
Win the lottery and see how far it goes. Might be better to keep it simple.
Chris
Subject Author Posted

Feedwater heaters on the K series

Bill Pratt July 09, 2005 09:55PM

Kevin Bush July 10, 2005 05:38AM

Mike Trent July 10, 2005 07:57AM

Donald Foster July 10, 2005 08:05PM

John Craft July 10, 2005 09:49AM

Chris Ahrens July 10, 2005 06:41PM

Trevor Hartford July 12, 2005 03:18PM

Chris Ahrens July 14, 2005 06:40PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.