Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Feedwater heaters on the K series

July 10, 2005 06:41PM
Gee whiz guys, with all the pictures books around too.
Anyway, none of the NG power had a feed water heaters appliled. Always two guns. But, should someone come up with a picture or write up, please let me know. While it may have been talked about or possibly even pricing obtained, I recall no instance of any FWH application.
As for the 490 in their former life, most of the smaller, older SG power was double gunned also.
Now as for the SG K engines, believe (and no, I haven't looked thru my "picture books but I just looked thru the RG Folio book!) the D&RGW engines had 1 exhaust steam injector and 1 live steam injector. While the Moffat engines had Coffin Feed Water Heaters and a few had Exh steam inj's. along with 1 live steam injector. For both DRGW & Moffat engines, I don't believe they came from the builders with those appliances but they were applied later in their careers.
Unfortunately, the D&RGW Folios don't say when the betterments were made. That would take the 'file' for each engine, including the AFE paper work, to probably determine when applied, cost and new or second hand and where, and that, if the file were available and only, if researched by someone really interested.
Although, comparison between some of the earlier issued folios and the later post 1930/1940/1950 issues might give a rough idea when.
Just somemore 'stuff' that's trivia.
Evenin'
Chris
Subject Author Posted

Feedwater heaters on the K series

Bill Pratt July 09, 2005 09:55PM

Kevin Bush July 10, 2005 05:38AM

Mike Trent July 10, 2005 07:57AM

Donald Foster July 10, 2005 08:05PM

John Craft July 10, 2005 09:49AM

Chris Ahrens July 10, 2005 06:41PM

Trevor Hartford July 12, 2005 03:18PM

Chris Ahrens July 14, 2005 06:40PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.