Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

C&S 70 Oil burner & Boiler Explosion

May 13, 2005 06:27PM
This is a follow up to a post and threads that were on the NGDF over a year ago. Or was it two years ago?
Basically, it involved C&S 70, when converted to an oil burner and a the boiler explosion.
Well, with things busy here at the old farm house and at work, I was not able to locate the information I was looking for. Today, I found the box with the Annual Report from the Chief Inspector of the Bureau of Locomotive Inspection to the ICC for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1936.
So, to make a long story short, I was partly right and partly wrong.
The incident in question ocured on "Jan. 13, 1936, locomotive 70, at Golden Colorado. Crown sheet failure caused by overheating due to low water; gage cock dripper almost entirely stopped up with loose scale; one injured."
While I remembered reading about the boiler explosion, my memory had not served me correctly concerning the date. So obviously, the conversion to oil took place earlier in the 30's. When???
There was no other information as to how badly the one person was injured or the extent of damage to the locomotive. If I were to venture a guess, the crown sheet probably just "bagged".
I believe the 70 ran again, as far as I know. The damage couldn't have been too bad because, what Master Mechanic in his right mind would spend big bucks on NG power when the NG was on its way out and other power available. Within a short time, the main line thru Platte Cnyon and west would be gone accepting the Clear Creek & South Park "remains" lasting until 1939/42 or so.
Anyone have the 70's exact conversion date to oil? Any cost or time to do? Or for that matter, more info on the explosion. (Hol W. at the CRRM?)
Apologies if I misled anyone, wish I had perfect recall.
Still enjoy all the NG threads, that is, when I get a chance to look.
Chris
Subject Author Posted

C&S 70 Oil burner & Boiler Explosion

Chris Ahrens May 13, 2005 06:27PM

Re: C&S 70 Oil burner & Boiler Explosion

Kevin May 13, 2005 06:32PM

Charlie Mutschler May 13, 2005 08:39PM

Chris Ahrens May 15, 2005 09:11PM

Charlie Mutschler May 16, 2005 09:42PM

Chris Ahrens May 17, 2005 04:54PM

El Coke May 13, 2005 11:32PM

Mike Trent May 14, 2005 08:28AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.