Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: different view in Alamosa...

March 23, 2005 09:05AM
Earl:
The two Gunnison engineers that I spoke to and corresponded with didn't like working the rotary as it made for a long, cold day or two. As you said, rotarys ON and OO did not have an outfit train. The Floresta and Smith Hill branches were notorious for rocks, trees, etc. The Floresta branch was normally shut down in the winter and when they were sent out to open it in the spring, the snow was packed like stone...like Cumbres and the C&TS. Frank said they sent a lot of time waiting for the section gangs to probe the drifts, to blast rocks, or to dig out by hand. They typically backed up to Crested Butte as the turntable at Floresta was covered and it was a real pain to turn the rotary on it according to him. At one time there was a wye at Kebler Pass, but Frank said it was gone by the time he started on the D&RGW...didn't know why they took it out. The Smith Hill branch wasn't that bad, but the snow gets very deep on the north end of that line. Slate Cut just south of Crested Butte was famous for slides filled with trees and rocks and was always a pain for them.
He said the snow would come into the rotary through cracks and the doors and windows and that they would stuff rags or newspapers to try to keep it out.
He didn't mind running or firing one of the engines pushing the rotary, but he didn't like to work the rotary itself very much.
If a run required more than one day, they would typically stay in a cheap hotel in Crested Butte. I think he just didn't like being away from his family. He normally made the Crested Butte run or runs from Gunnison to Cimmaron and back which got him home in time for dinner.
He tells of coaling and watering the rotary and three engines in the Gunnison yards when it was 45 below zero and when I said that I sure wish I could have seen that, he said...you ever worked outside when it is 45 below? Didn't say it to him, but I think the first C&TS rotary run in January of 74 was close to being that cold.
Subject Author Posted

Chama N.M. february 12th 1957

John Templeton Chama Station Agent March 22, 2005 08:41AM

Re: Chama N.M. february 12th 1957

Gregory Raven March 22, 2005 09:15AM

Jerry Day March 22, 2005 12:11PM

different view in Alamosa...

earl March 22, 2005 03:28PM

Re: different view in Alamosa...

Jerry Day March 23, 2005 09:05AM

Re: Rotary OO

Hank Porter March 24, 2005 08:04AM

Jerry Day March 24, 2005 10:32AM

Hank Porter March 24, 2005 11:04AM

Jerry Day March 24, 2005 12:04PM

Linn W. Moedinger March 23, 2005 05:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.