Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Nevada County NG

February 21, 2005 06:12PM
Eugene,
Sorry I missed you guys on Saturday, I ran a little later than I had planned and got there after you had already gone.
I am not sure about the sign you saw, it might have been something from the NCNG but I cannot recall off hand if it was or not. The NCNG did not really run that close to the Empire Mine, atleast not within that close of proximity. I believe at one time there was a spur to the mine but again my mind is a bit hazy about this at the moment.
As far as rebuilding the ROW, it would be near impossible to connect the current museum to Grass Valley. Between Nevada City and Grass Valley about 70% of the right of way is under current roads, the rest lay on private land, not to mention getting clearance to reopen the Town Talk tunnel (which would go under Hwy 49) would be out of the question.
I have long thought that something from Grass Valley south could be possible, however, the number of homes in the direct neighborhood of the ROW would make it an uphill battle. Years ago our museum tried to get the land where the NCNG shops and depot once were and we met with complaints from neighbors who didn't want tourists looking up in to their backyards. Maybe one day something will change, and this is why we do our best to keep our equipment in operable condition so that if something does happen to where we can rebuild some of the ROW, we'd have equipment for it. For now we are grateful for what land we do have and for our dedicated volunteers.
-=Andrew=-
Subject Author Posted

Nevada County NG

Eugene February 21, 2005 05:14PM

Ray Cadd February 21, 2005 05:58PM

Andrew Brandon February 21, 2005 06:12PM

Eugene February 21, 2005 06:44PM

Ted Miles February 21, 2005 10:02PM

Ed Kelley February 22, 2005 04:31PM

Daniel Maxwell February 22, 2005 05:29PM

Andrew Brandon February 22, 2005 05:46PM

Ed Kelley February 22, 2005 10:16PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.