Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Well ......

Kelly
January 09, 2005 09:04PM
Actually it’s even closer. About 20 minutes off I-70, 1-1/2 hours from Harrisburg, 2-1/2 hours from Pittsburgh.
It seems that the C&TS (last few years notwithstanding) has always been able to attract about ¼ of the ridership of the D&S, I assume because Chama is 2 hours from nowhere, i.e. not much of a destination for the average tourist.
Personally, I see no reason why the EBT shouldn’t be able to attract ¼ the ridership of the Strasburg Rail Road (which is around 350K riders annually) if built up and marketed correctly. But it’s one of those “you’ve got to spend money to make money” situations, and the plant and roster would be hard pressed to support more passengers than they do now without major upgrades.
Also, there is NO tourist infrastructure in Orbisonia. There is no sit-down restaurant in town, nor anyplace to spend the night, nor anyplace to buy gas (or at least diesel) on Sunday, all requiring a minimum 15 minute drive to achive.
In any case, the purchase price of the railroad, whatever it may be, is only the most basic down payment compared to what is needed to pull the railroad, and the local area up by its bootstraps.
Subject Author Posted

Eastie for sale? *LINK*

Mik January 04, 2005 05:45PM

Re: Eastie for sale?

Glenn Christensen January 04, 2005 09:17PM

: Eastie for sale? Yes .

El Coke January 05, 2005 07:57PM

Re: : Eastie for sale? Yes .

Bruce R. Pier January 07, 2005 03:23PM

Well ......

El Coke January 08, 2005 09:27PM

Re: Well ......

Kelly January 09, 2005 09:04PM

Exactly right

El Coke January 09, 2005 09:21PM

Re: Exactly right

Bruce R. Pier January 09, 2005 10:38PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.