Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

: Eastie for sale? Yes .

January 05, 2005 07:57PM
Glenn , the Silverton branch sold for $2.4 million . After massive imporovements to the physical plant ,the D&SNG is worth many times that , and it has made a good recovery from the 2002 shutdown disaster and definitely is not for sale . Truth is ,the EBT has been unofficially for sale for some time . The price is too high for a 5-mile line with 30 miles of two rails on a right-of way ,with no ties to speak of . However , I believe a great deal of property goes with the railroad . Unfortuntely the EBT is off the beaten track ,and reopening any of the line would be a big gamble . Tourist roads ,when they are offered for sale ,have asking prices that are astronomical , but often as not are withdrawn from the market when there are no takers . Railroads in general are hard to make money with because they are labor-intensive and do well when owners can keep more than 10 to 15 % of the gross . The best I ever heard of is 75% operating ratio ,i.e. the owners keep 25% of the gross . Tourist roads require even more employees ,and add steam to the mix the profit margin is slim indeed . Another unfortunate curveball is tourist roads are in the people moving business , and there is usually a lawsuit going at any given time .
Subject Author Posted

Eastie for sale? *LINK*

Mik January 04, 2005 05:45PM

Re: Eastie for sale?

Glenn Christensen January 04, 2005 09:17PM

: Eastie for sale? Yes .

El Coke January 05, 2005 07:57PM

Re: : Eastie for sale? Yes .

Bruce R. Pier January 07, 2005 03:23PM

Well ......

El Coke January 08, 2005 09:27PM

Re: Well ......

Kelly January 09, 2005 09:04PM

Exactly right

El Coke January 09, 2005 09:21PM

Re: Exactly right

Bruce R. Pier January 09, 2005 10:38PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.