Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Drive a train at CRRM?

November 02, 2004 07:04PM
Sounds like a great idea, and in any country but the US it would probably be possible. If you closed the gate and did not allow traffic though and did not have anyone on property that had not signed some sort of release it might work. I think that the liability otherwise would be too high. The other problems would be insurance and what equipment to use. The insurance companies would probably have a fit if anyone was running trains that had not had all the proper training. However, I know that at the D&S anyone can run equipment as long as it does not leave the Durango yard, the gate might have to be closed as well. On private property you can do anything you want. As far as equipment goes, the rod engines at the CRRM are pretty small from a railroad stand point but huge compared to what most people operate every day, most people would have difficulty stopping fast enough. One of the Geese might be a better choice because it is a familiar format to most people. I'd pay to run Goose 6 around the loop a couple of times. The other options might be PeeWee and D&RGW #50. With 50 being rebuilt I’ve wondered if they could do weekend operating sessions over the summer, assuming that volunteers could be found to operate the train. Then do steam trains on special occasions. But I digress, I think that a drive a train type day could work if if was given the planning and volunteer support such a project needs. The final problem(last one I promise) might be that such a day would interfere with any normal volunteer work that might be happening that day, and so the income from the event would have to offset that cost.
My 2 bits,
Paul
Subject Author Posted

Drive a train at CRRM?

Bob Yarger November 02, 2004 06:35PM

Paul Gibbs November 02, 2004 07:04PM

Ed Stabler November 02, 2004 09:18PM

Bob Yarger November 03, 2004 04:34AM

Rent-An-Engine/Engineer for a Day Programs

Ed Kelley November 03, 2004 09:51AM

Re: Rent-An-Engine/Engineer for a Day Programs

JasonL. November 06, 2004 08:58AM

Re: Rent-An-Engine/Engineer for a Day Programs

Greg scholl November 06, 2004 11:02AM

Stephen Peck November 03, 2004 09:49AM

Paul Gibbs November 03, 2004 12:30PM

Mike Stillwell November 03, 2004 01:53PM

Paul Gibbs November 03, 2004 02:29PM

Ted Miles November 04, 2004 10:14AM

RBrinton November 04, 2004 10:50AM

Stevo del Applegato November 05, 2004 08:03AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.